sharetrader
Page 16 of 115 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

Any of you guys follow GNX, NEW, IFN? All are on the ASX. They are interesting little power companies. I have gone pretty heavy on GNX.

Sorry its the wrong thread, but might be of intrest to some.

Rio Tinto, will they go or will they stay?

Transpower are moving their pieces around on the chess board if they go.

https://www.transpower.co.nz/clutha-...-lines-project

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS Could someone explain why you would upgrade Roxburgh - Liningstone and Aviemore - Benmore but not the lines between.
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Rio Tinto, will they go or will they stay?

Transpower are moving their pieces around on the chess board if they go.

https://www.transpower.co.nz/clutha-...-lines-project

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS Could someone explain why you would upgrade Roxburgh - Liningstone and Aviemore - Benmore but not the lines between.
    Go and have a look at page 22 of the Meridian FY20 HY results. I think that is the best explanation of the upgrades I have seen. The Aviemore - Livingstone line has already been duplexed (along with the Roxburgh - Clyde line) a few years back.

think vector might throw spanner in the works of the supposed transpower subsidy to rio

Vector says if smelter gets Transpower discount then it may ask for one too

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/120...sk-for-one-too

opens up a whole can of worms for other industries to seek subsidy.
    one step ahead of the herd

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Carpenterjoe View Post
    Any of you guys follow GNX, NEW, IFN? All are on the ASX. They are interesting little power companies. I have gone pretty heavy on GNX.

Sorry its the wrong thread, but might be of intrest to some.
    GNX i held but sold down (and out of many )of my stocks on the 4th feb. GNX has its own thread.

Have kept power companies though plan to ride this out with them and need the income.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 11-03-2020 at 05:46 PM.

While I appreciate the Tiwai descision is important I think it would be remiss of us not to realise these are businesses are predominantly non-cyclical dividend payers in a declining rate environment. People will likely postpone a holiday or purchase long before they go back to living by candle light and heating pots of water over a wood fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    While I appreciate the Tiwai descision is important I think it would be remiss of us not to realise these are businesses are predominantly non-cyclical dividend payers in a declining rate environment. People will likely postpone a holiday or purchase long before they go back to living by candle light and heating pots of water over a wood fire.
    That's very true. After food and shelter ones power bill is right up near the very top of the list of priorities but the $64,000 question is how would a Tiwai Pt closure affect the profitability of the various companies in this sector and their ability to pay dividends ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-03-2020 at 09:27 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Based on the current situation, where china economy is slowing down... world is fighting the virus, uncertainty over world economy..I think it is high likely that Tiwai will be closed down.

Cindy will help those workers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    GNX i held but sold down (and out of many )of my stocks on the 4th feb. GNX has its own thread.

Have kept power companies though plan to ride this out with them and need the income.
    It will be interesting if Tiwai closes down and production is moved to Tomago how that will effect spot prices in nsw. Anyway just a
    thought. I can't see NZ consumers paying less for electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    ...how would a Tiwai Pt closure affect the profitability of the various companies in this sector and their ability to pay dividends ?
    How many companies will still be paying dividends, much less at the same level, if we have a servere recession? For most of us risk is relative.

"...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know." - Donald Rumsfeld