sharetrader
Page 20 of 115 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

Delay gives NZ Inc more time to progress the transmission upgrades already announced and squeezes RIO's leverage.

Anyone have any insight into national power demand during the lockdown? Any trends apparent yet? I would assume demand would drop, but not by that much, maybe 5%?

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    delay doesnt change much in way of fundamentals and im sure the power companies do deal to keep smelter open but it be at s/h expense , also demand for electricity will be well down this year now due to lock down and business failures to come. im for letting rio stand on there own feet not for subsidies if gentailers are so keen to throw millions at rio they should throw millions at consumers to if rio closes.
    A lot more people will be at home using more power as well,instead of being in the office

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Delay gives NZ Inc more time to progress the transmission upgrades already announced and squeezes RIO's leverage.

Anyone have any insight into national power demand during the lockdown? Any trends apparent yet? I would assume demand would drop, but not by that much, maybe 5%?
    I haven't done any sums yet, but maybe it would be reasonable to look at the difference between a regular weekend and weekday and take that as the approximate reduction? Not exactly comparable but maybe a good start.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Rio are reviewing their options and could use the uncertainty of corvid-19 economic damage to postpone their final decision.
    I do not know for sure but I guess they will have to close for 4 weeks and then maybe will re-open the pots they can run on cheaper contracted prices
    I read confirmation this morning that Tiwai will be open for the duration of the lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    I'm not sure if Jacinda will care about Rio's departure. Might try to sell the consequent drop in electricity prices as a good thing she did.
    The Greens would surely love it too, right? Those dirty boats coming over from Aus with alumina, the ability to dial back some of the non-renewable power generation. I can't really see the COL trying too hard to retain them.

Guru

Short term economic reality might rule - ie job losses and hole in Southland economy, the power comapnies (they all still majority own), export revenue etc.

IMO

Think there is only one thats still majority owned,Contact?. Remember John (double whammy) Key flogged off our other ones to us!

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Think there is only one thats still majority owned,Contact?. Remember John (double whammy) Key flogged off our other ones to us!
    JK flogged off minority stakes in Genesis, Mercury and Meridian. So the government still has a 50% controlling shareholding in those. Contact ownership is now very highly dispersed, since the former majority owner, Origin Energy in Australia, sold out.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    No, Meridian etc were only partial floats. Crown still retains 51%.