sharetrader
Page 24 of 115 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

Why are all the generators down so much??

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    Yeah, wondering the same thing myself? Rio?

Veteran novice

Lower commercial and industrial power usage, I would think.

aluminium prices at new lows in free fall at the moment , demand for aluminium in general and from NZ as its used in cars and aircraft is poor must be really weighing on rio mind.

As said peak dividends from power companies has been , maybe even lower dividends to come as demand is down for power usage and probably wont reach back to previous levels for quite some time , if rio stays they will cough up profits to them. they are expensive now on fundamentals against this negative environment.
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

I reckon they have alot further to fall... MCY (and most of the power sector) is priced near term deposit rates, yet there is far, far more risk (as my post above #230 partly explains) to the yield than your typical term deposit.

Meridian have not even wiped out one year of share price appreciation... They were $3 start of 2019 ($4.20 currently). Were they incredibly undervalued then, or are they overvalued now?

Quote Originally Posted by trackers View Post
    Meridian have not even wiped out one year of share price appreciation... They were $3 start of 2019 ($4.20 currently). Were they incredibly undervalued then, or are they overvalued now?
    Sure, but at times like these, are the generators not considered safe havens?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Sure, but at times like these, are the generators not considered safe havens?
    Safer *relatively* yeah, but the current happenings will result in a measurable reduction in demand for power (people think that people in their homes using heatpumps makes a difference, but it doesn't, industry uses the vast bulk). Also big question mark in the short term on Tiwai

Quote Originally Posted by trackers View Post
    Safer *relatively* yeah, but the current happenings will result in a measurable reduction in demand for power (people think that people in their homes using heatpumps makes a difference, but it doesn't, industry uses the vast bulk). Also big question mark in the short term on Tiwai
    Yes, but if I'm not mistaken, the price that retail consumers pay per kwh will be quite a lot higher than the price that industrial and commercial consumers pay, so the overall revenue for the power co might not be so different. In any case, the lock down will only be a month (or two), then back to more normal demand patterns.
    Tiwai? anyone's guess, but I expect the govt won't want another thousand jobs gone in the short term so will probably be highly motivated to reach an agreement

IMO

Plus the 2,260 jobs created indirectly.
    Tiwai uses enough electricity to power 776,000 homes!