sharetrader
Page 63 of 115 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    I am getting bored with this diversion into hydro efficiency as we have yet to correlate the height of the dam and water temperature to the share price .

But if you want to talk about long distance gas transmission systems and especially line-pack I will join in again.
    Right, I'll give ya something to sink those Leopard teeth into.
    If NZO have success with their Ironbark well in Aussie, how much will it cost to put a pipeline from there back to Huntly Power station?
    LOL.
    Last edited by Getty; 05-08-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Veteran novice

So, where does that leave us in assessing the relative merits of the big five gentailers?

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    So, where does that leave us in assessing the relative merits of the big five gentailers?

well with the smelter gone , no new generation will be needed for a long time unless some big new industry starts up here. so the gentailers should be able to keep maintaining those big juicy dividends for longer now without the need for big new investment in generation some were planning.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    well with the smelter gone , no new generation will be needed for a long time unless some big new industry starts up here. so the gentailers should be able to keep maintaining those big juicy dividends for longer now without the need for big new investment in generation some were planning.
    With the smelter gone, demand is gone too. Where is the dividend is gonna to come from?

Quote Originally Posted by 44wishlists View Post
    With the smelter gone, demand is gone too. Where is the dividend is gonna to come from?
    demand will naturally absorb the excess , they can do this thru new businesses , converting existing business , closing generation , encouraging more consumption etc. i see this as impacting there profits going forward as not material
    one step ahead of the herd

I don't see 3/5 of the gentailers being effected in the profits, potentially 4/5 (happy to be proven wrong).

Genesis is the big loser as they own Huntly which was scheduled to close in 2022 and is the primary non-renewable power source. Genesis could close Huntly when the aluminium smelter closes to make a net zero gain/lose in generation/demand into the grind? They had already scheduled the closure for 2022.

Meridian would be the other company to take a hit if Transpower doesn't connect Manapouri to the HVDC link in time and the fact it would be the over supply source. Although, it's renewable so the public likes it.. An articles the other day was suggesting Fonterra could be a potential customer for manapouri's power. I don't think this is super likely because they wont want to pay the electricity prices but it does go to suggest, a customer(s) will arise to take up the power. Whether it be an existing industry or a new one we aren't aware of yet.

That's some of my thoughts anyway.

Veteran novice

Genesis is the big loser as they own Huntly which was scheduled to close in 2022 and is the primary non-renewable power source. Genesis could close Huntly when the aluminium smelter closes to make a net zero gain/lose in generation/demand into the grind? They had already scheduled the closure for 2022.
    I wonder about GNE though. It's the "peaking" generator, available when the rain doesn't rain and the winds don't blow. Who/what does this role when Huntly's decommissioned?

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I wonder about GNE though. It's the "peaking" generator, available when the rain doesn't rain and the winds don't blow. Who/what does this role when Huntly's decommissioned?
    That right there is the reason for beginning the discussion about Lake Onslow... It's basically the only renewable storage option suitable for long term storage.
    Last edited by gains; 05-08-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by gains View Post
    That right there is the reason for beginning the discussion about Lake Onslow... It's basically the only renewable storage option suitable for long term storage.
    Then, we had better hope that Huntly has a few more years of life after 2022!

Gas cheaper dry-year option than pumped hydro

Additional gas storage could provide about half the dry-year cover offered by the proposed $4 billion Lake Onslow pumped hydro scheme at about 5 percent of the cost, energy executives heard yesterday.

Gas Industry Company chief executive Andrew Knight said .........The country has a choice to spend “$4 billion plus plus plus and build a big lake” at Lake Onslow in Central Otago or spend a “couple of hundred million” building additional gas storage, he said.

Paywalled
    https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/g...n-pumped-hydro
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....