sharetrader
Page 9 of 115 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

If interest rates were to go up, what other shares would be worth looking at to replace these power shares?

HGH, AIR, BRM, HLG...all are under consideration by me for additional investment, well perhaps apart from BRM which I have truck loads already.
    ZEL maybe too but wait for the Govt completed fuel study in early December.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...onsensus-grows

Even though I hold power company shares, wholeheartedly agree that it's time to shut Tiwai Pt down.

$200m for building and upgrading transmission lines to grid the power up north is nothing. - NZ spends $600m a week on social welfare payments and services.

A key question is whether TiWai have to pay for the write off of the transmission assets put in for them. North Makarewa Sub, Tiwai Sub, a double circuit transmission line from Tiwai etc.Has Transpower thought about it or does the NZ taxpayer and consumer pay.?

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Even though I hold power company shares, wholeheartedly agree that it's time to shut Tiwai Pt down.

$200m for building and upgrading transmission lines to grid the power up north is nothing. - NZ spends $600m a week on social welfare payments and services.
    My guess at this stage is it will come down to the Nov 2020 election and the campaigning leading up to this. Southland is a National supporting electorate. Labour therefore has less to lose by not coming up with some sort of support package. Can either main party gain or retain enough votes to be worth supporting or in some backhand way engineering a deal that has the smelter stay?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Resource consent could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Resource consent could be an issue.
    Come to Auckland and see how resource consent is not an issue with the super disruptive infrastructure works being undertaken all over the freaking city.

In the name of upgrading thoroughfares close to where I live, properties have lost half their backyards and some of these properties are up on hills.

mercury were saying the aluminium people are sabre rattling and they dont see them closing anytime soon but may in the future one day.
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

It's gonna close at some stage in the future, but given the reported profit last year, hard to see why they would be in a hurry. OK, aluminum prices are down, but currency is better but they're having another crack at the taxpayer and the Gubermint via power/transmission companies. There are ups and downs like most businesses, but should be able to ride it out for a while.....especially in the light of $200m+ remediation costs. Not to mention labour/redundancy costs.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2019/06/0...ts-207m-profit

Its not $30,000 per job. It seems widely accepted that the smelter is responsible for about 1000 employees and another 2,000 contractors and employees of other business's that rely on the smelter for their income. So its really about $10,000 per family as a one-off grant from National that supported families for many years now, much cheaper than the unemployment benefit which is a recurring benefit not a one-off. I wonder how these families who enjoy housing at some of the cheapest prices in New Zealand will cope having to shift elsewhere ? 3,000 families deeply affected....hmmmm, that's pretty significant !

Secondly it won't be anything like as cheap as $200m to upgrade the transmission lines. That was a 2012 dollars estimate and that doesn't take into account the upgrade in transmission line between the south and north island. I think the true cost is likely to be much higher.
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-10-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine