sharetrader
Page 93 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That's what I thought last night as I noticed the cord out to neighbours EV

And suppose they burnt through heaps of coal last night at Huntly
    Did you notice which way the electrons were flowing though? Even a partially charged EV might power a household for a few hours, thus relieving the strain on the Transpower grid.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    We need someone like Jantar to explain why.
    Watching power prices yesterday and feeling cold I bought lots of MEL towards and at close .
    Our electricity market works by generators offering their available generation into the market, large consumers bid in their demand, and Transpower estimates the demand for retail customers. Where the supply offers and demand bids cross sets the price and quantity for that trading period.

At times there is not enough generation offered into the market to meet both the energy demand and the reserve requirements. When that happens Transpower issues a Standby reserve notice asking generators to offer more into the market. This isn't a serious concern as the system can still cope. But when there is an energy deficit where there is simply not enough generation offered to meet the demand then it becomes an emergency situation. Once a Grid Emergency Notice has been sent out generators may not reduce their offers for any reason other than plant failure. They may not change their offer prices, but they can increase their offers if possible. This may be where plant is out for minor maintenance (e.g. brushgear servicing) and can be brought back early. If there is still not enough generation offered then .... we saw the results last night.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Did you notice which way the electrons were flowing though? Even a partially charged EV might power a household for a few hours, thus relieving the strain on the Transpower grid.

SNOOPY
    Confucius say;

Dog who have warm kennel at night, unable to leave it in the morning...

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Confucius say;

Dog who have warm kennel at night, unable to leave it in the morning...
    Ah, that explains a lot - havn't heard from Beagle yet!

it was exceptionally cold through large parts of the country yesterday and last night

003EC544-08CF-4154-80D8-92CA8F2416D4.jpg

I took this on the weather app on the TV - the white is precipitation as snow

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Amazing that it supposedly been the warmest winter ever, it been pretty wretched in Christchurch
    I Know right!! Perfect fodder for climate change denialists
    Last edited by peat; 10-08-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

I have to hope the comments about EVs causing the power shortage at 6pm last night were jokes. There are so few EVs in NZ, the impact would be negligible and those that are, will usually be charged between midnight and 6am when rates are cheapest. Far more likely to be heaters, ovens etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gbogo View Post
    I have to hope the comments about EVs causing the power shortage at 6pm last night were jokes. There are so few EVs in NZ, the impact would be negligible and those that are, will usually be charged between midnight and 6am when rates are cheapest. Far more likely to be heaters, ovens etc.

well of course I think most folks make them as jokes but the truth is the more EV's the more it wont be negligible and if we havent got enough power now..... so its a delicious irony for those against the strong (read unnecessary) moves this Labour govt is making on the energy sector - i refer to killing off gas mainly.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Ah, that explains a lot - havn't heard from Beagle yet!

Beagle AWOL...was last seen snuggling up nice and close to his heat pump hoping it would keep going and very grateful for those Genesis owned Rankine units at Huntly running full throttle. !!
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-08-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

You could say you were getting coaled...

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    You could say you were getting coaled...
    LOL I see what you did there
    Last week saw a nasty power cut here for 8 hours with the high winds. We are fortunate to have one of those gas fires with little chunks of fake coal and wood in them, looks pretty close to a real fire and burns lots of LPG when in use. Ask me if I care how much CO2 is created by using that gas fire when I need to I guess you could say I am determined not to get coaled
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine