sharetrader
Page 94 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Ask me if I care how much CO2 is created by using that gas fire when I need to I guess you could say I am determined not to get coaled
    Personally , I think it is ridiculous to care about the pollution caused by burning LPG for heat (or NG as I do ) when there are so many people still burning wood fires. Gets quite smoky here in SpringVale when there is no wind in the winter. Large volumes of smoke pour out of some houses in the hood. I note that Gas fire flues never need to be cleaned which shows you how little pollution they create compared to wood or coal fires.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Beagle AWOL...was last seen snuggling up nice and close to his heat pump hoping it would keep going and very grateful for those Genesis owned Rankine units at Huntly running full throttle. !!
    Apparently Genesis didn't fire up one boiler because they thought it wasn't needed
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Apparently Genesis didn't fire up one boiler because they thought it wasn't needed
    gosh , that really wasnt a good call was it? Blind Freddy knew there was a wintery blast coming north and you'd think they'd be wanting to fire them all up to maximise the point of still having them if there's a good chance.....

And the 53m that came out of nowhere ....

GNEburger
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

A good summary of what we know so far on interest

https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1117...enerating-much

Genesis didn't forsee a sudden reduction in wind generation and weeds blocking a hydro generator intake and the rankines couldn't respond fast enough, apparently.

Advanced Member

There is a jet powered station on standby at Whirinaki in HB, intended for quick start up for such moments as last night.

Someone probably lost the crank handle...

Advanced Member

Anyone, such as Jantar, have a way of checking if Whirinaki did/did not start last night, and if it did not, why not??
    Last edited by Getty; 10-08-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    On the offer and demand data providedthe day before, it wouldn't have been needed. Once the Grid warning and Greid emergency notices came out it was too late. It takes a minimum of 12 hours to start a cold Rankine unit, so not something that can be maganed at 5:00 pm inn time for 7:00 pm.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Anyone, such as Jantar, have a way of checking if Whirinaki did/did not start last night, and if it did not, why not??
    Whirinaki was running. Running again this morning and still running right now. https://www.transpower.co.nz/power-system-live-data

Edit: Just shut down 10 mins ago.
    Last edited by Jantar; 10-08-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Genesis have to start up the third Rankine unit today, surely ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Missed by that much

Genesis have to start up the third Rankine unit today, surely ?
    The demand today is just not there. Starting those large coal units isn't as simple as pushing a button. The boiler has to be warmed up slowly, and once steam is bening generated then the temperatures and pressures have to be brought up in a controlled manner. Once there is sufficient steam pressure, then the turbine has to brought up to speed very slowly to allow the blades and casings to warm and expand at the same rate. It is a 12 hour process and cost as much as runnning the plant for 12 hours. Imagine doing all that and then finding that it was only needed for 3 hours.

Maybe there has been political pressure from their major shareholder. We will find out in the next few hours.