sharetrader
Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast
    Guru

Default 2020 ASX stock picking competition

I think it is time to think to the future.

After this year, i believe the rules require reflection.

the 2019 rules at beginning of the year were :

1 - no stocks under 1c will be accepted.
    2 - Dividends will be added to return.
    3 - 5 stock picks only.
    4 - no options etc.
    5 - each stock pick will have a weighting of $10,000 (20% of portfolio)... ($50,000 in total for portfolio)...
    so performance can be posted in percentage returns, and/or $ returns.
    6 - entries close before the open on Monday 14th January 2019.
    7 - entry price is the higher of the first-traded price from the day following you posting your selections and the first traded price
    on the first trading day of the year. This discourages late comers from optimising their entry price during the 2 week grace period.
    8 - if one of your picks hasn’t listed or is in suspension at the start of year we will just take the first traded price on the day that it lists or comes out of suspension.
    9 - takeovers will result in a new pick to the contestant, at the adjusted rate.
    10. at any time a ticker may be converted to cash but must be bought back into before the end of the year - same ticker.
    if in cash when suspended or taken over or otherwise unavailable by year end : cash. may not be swapped for another ticker

I am suggesting this change to the rules :

1 - no stocks under 1c will be accepted.
    2 - Dividends will be added to return.
    3 - 5 stock picks only.
    4 - no options etc.
    5 - each stock pick will have a weighting of $10,000 (20% of portfolio)... ($50,000 in total for portfolio)...
    so performance can be posted in percentage returns, and/or $ returns.
    6 - entries close before midnight on Wednesday 1st January 2020 Australian time , preferably before.
    7 - entry price is the higher of the first-traded price from the day following you posting your selections and the first traded price
    on the first trading day of the year, 2020. This discourages late comers from optimising their entry price. ANY grace period be requested BEFORE 2020 by post on the competition page.
    8 - if one of your picks hasn’t listed or is in suspension at the start of year we will just take the first traded price on the day that it lists or comes out of suspension.
    9 - takeovers will result in a new pick to the contestant, at the adjusted rate.
    10. at any time a ticker may be converted to cash but must be bought back into before the end of the year - same ticker.
    if in cash when suspended or taken over or otherwise unavailable by year end : cash. may not be swapped for another ticker
    11. if for some reason the ticker selected becomes unavailable or in error and the trader does not select another, then the next alphabetically available ticker be substituted to make up 5 valid tickers.

These are ideas for discussion.

i am unsure of jennym's availability for this.

regards
    wizardAlvin
    Be aware of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    that not forbidden is mandatory.
    Anyone but o'brien

Sounds fine to me
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

I think so too. Total confidence in you.

Fine with me also, and really appreciate you taking this on again next year - I am sure you must spend countless hours working on this - many thanks

IMO

Yes whatever is less time.I wouldn't care if divs weren't added for ex.

Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

Sounds good

If it's easier for you I'd suggest simplifying the start price to be either 'close on last trading day of year' or 'first trade of year' no matter when selection was made.

The first trade after posting option seems like it just adds complications

What ever makes it simplest and most enjoyable for you gets my thumbs up!

Great comp even when my picks have me battling it out in Shrewdy's neck of the woods!

Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

There's also an option that sub 1c shares could be traded but with a minimum buy in price of 1c. So 10k on a 0.5c stock would only buy 1000000 shares.

Only thought of that one as last year I almost got caught out when my 1c stock dipped below threshold prior to opening and created confusion (for me at least)
    Last edited by t.rexjr; 30-10-2019 at 08:31 AM.

yes I would go for a simpler opening price - first traded price on first day of trading

if not in by that date bad luck you are out - plenty of notice given

Don't mind either way re dividends if easier leave them out
    Last edited by Jay; 30-10-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: add last line

Permanent Newbie

Sounds good, prefer dividends in but as this is a share trader not a share investor site I will be happy with whatever the doers do as I am not willing to do anything myself.

IMO

Think there are at least as many investors as traders. I for one have held four of my picks most of the year and the fifth one i bought just a little later.