sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketfan View Post
    My opinion stands as before. The Christchurch market won't have the rush like Auckland and in the longer term, the gov't at the national level will relax building requirements to spur more building.

Did I say building? Look not far along Cashmere Road where there's a new massive sub-division development in progress. What does that mean?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    My opinion stands as before. The Christchurch market won't have the rush like Auckland and in the longer term, the gov't at the national level will relax building requirements to spur more building.

Did I say building? Look not far along Cashmere Road where there's a new massive sub-division development in progress. What does that mean?
    that whole area from cracroft onwards is like a giant building site, all the way to the quarry the hills are vanishing, was a nice road to run/cycle but before long going to be choc a block with traffic

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    that whole area from cracroft onwards is like a giant building site, all the way to the quarry the hills are vanishing, was a nice road to run/cycle but before long going to be choc a block with traffic
    "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." L.P. Hartey

Sounds like lots of places in Auckland. About a decade ago, I used to cycle regularly from Howick to Ardmore. A few tough hills, but It was mostly a pleasant cycle. Now the roads are clogged and full of trucks; many of the paddocks and meadows are now full of cheek by jowl housing - not what I would call "affordable for the local community" either. If you have high immigration, your cities will become denser and your green fringe eaten up by housing.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 23-01-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Being a landlord for nigh on for 4 decades..in Chch..Im becoming i creasingly alarmed by this Williams outfit ..sucking in all those folk buying one of these cluster units..emboldened by promises of riches...sad so sad.
    Last edited by troyvdh; 27-01-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Certainly agree and I know the area well as I use to live on Cashmere Road. The intersection at Sparks Road and Henderson Road got so busy they had to put a traffic light, and parallel along Lincoln Road into town is already busy enough.

If you compare to other developed countries (and this has been cited before), NZ's RMA is very restrictive. However we have a difference in view of NZ culture vs overseas. The national level gov't wants to relax the RMA rules but at the municipal level, they don't want it. So much that Lianne Dezel our Chch mayor could not secure much funding from Parliament for the earthquake recovery build and i'm sure a lot of that has to do with what local Chch residents want vs what the national level of gov't wants. One example is to allow more building closer to the boundaries and focus higher density building by going UP instead of all these newly constructed boring single story houses we see in new subdivisions. You know people want their privacy, they don't like neighboring windows looking at each other or houses being too close. Even stupid rules like if your 2 story house is withing 4m from the neighbouring boundary, then the windows upstairs have to be obscured. When you look overseas, houses are built much closer with more efficient use of land, and the emphasis to build UP. But somehow NZ's desire for having unused landscapes, large long driveways (ie we see in sub-divided single lots of a separate dwelling house built in the front and back) vs a back alley access we see in N. American sub-divisions. So our mayor in Chch made the choice to put the cost of the rebuild to the rates payer.

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh
    Being a landlord for nigh on for 4 decades..in Chch..Im becoming i creasingly alarmed by this Williams outfit ..sucking in all those folk buying one of these cluster units..emboldened by promises of riches...sad so sad.
    I noticed their ads flooding my FB feed. Williams are not the only ones in this scheme where they attract mom & pop home owners to invest in these 'shared' ownership ventures. Recently a house down our street was sold for top $ 2 years ago (a 4 bedroom place, they ALWAYS look for minimum 4 bedroom houses) and rent the house house at maximum; 8 cars parked because each room would be 2 people and each person requires a vehicle). Anyways, this is the problem with NZ. We have a tax system that favors investment into residential properties for the sake having tax free gains while the commoner's only choice is Kiwi Saver. Yes it's so sad.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/119...istchurch-flat

I suppose there's good reason why property investment schemes only pick quality houses to rent. Less headaches.