sharetrader
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    40 years ago I moved from Auckland to Canada to live at the age of 25. I quickly realised how sub standard our housing was comfort wise back in NZ. Having grown up with it I never new any better. I put it down to the fact that unfortunately Auckland was not quite cold enough for the need to do anything about it. Climates like Canada
    had no alternative from the beginning to deal with cold climate.
    Good insulation also keeps the building interior cooler in Summer as it does not heat up so much during sunny days.

Dilettante

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Do you think as the balance tips more in favour of tenants, there will be more landlords wishing to cash up and invest their money in shares in companies on NZ's small stock exchange thereby making it more worthwhile for companies to maintain their NZ listings?

Exactly what I have been thinking for some time.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Do you think as the balance tips more in favour of tenants, there will be more landlords wishing to cash up and invest their money in shares in companies on NZ's small stock exchange thereby making it more worthwhile for companies to maintain their NZ listings?
    Yes I think that is inevitable !

I thought I would be pretty safe putting my own kids into our downstairs flat.
    Each of them made a big mess it in their own ways. I feel better though because damage / unpaid rent was in the very low 4 figures on both occasions.
    What I have seen many times from my clients is the single worst business strategy you can engage in is let your rental property out to your own kids.
    I have seen repairs and maintenance bills for several clients running well into five figures.
    The fact that the transaction is not an arms length business one, in a nutshell, they think they are entitled to get away with almost anything.
    If there's drugs involved, look out, you're really in trouble then and how do you put them out into the street and still sleep at night ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-11-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Veteran novice

Doing one's property investment via the listed retirement village sector becomes increasingly attractive!

Advanced Member

Yes. I am seeing it within my own family.
    And those new investors often already trust property. So the Retirement companies, VHP, PFI etc are probably going to form part of their investments that they are already comfortable with. So while they might be concerned about the sharemarket…..they may feel more confident with real estate sector of it.

Good insulation also keeps the building interior cooler in Summer as it does not heat up so much during sunny days.
    I have the same view. With climate change being a major issue, you'll probably find overeall people's standard of living will erode. I grew up in Canada and know about home comfort however, they're achieving this at a high cost carbon footprint. I do think the trend is changing in that NZ homes will never meet OECD level of comfort. But should they? If the climate is no so extreme, why go through the necessity, using the resources to achieve that standard? It's like the Passive Haus group in NZ pushing their ultra expensive building standards with absolutely no payback time. Kinda like trying to sell Ferrari's to Toyota customers.

As far as being a landlord, I keep hearing the prospects of making $ is less with new regulations. What else is there left for people to invest in?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This Tenancy Tribunal case involved close neighbours and conflicts, aggressive behaviour, abuse and complaints all round. After making a decent though unsuccessful attempt to resolve, the landlord issued 90 day termination notices to both. The tenant who appealed the notice at various levels said she had tried for more than a year to find another rental without success.

Some might say not that surprising but not helped by rental shortages in the area (and her name in lights in the TT database). And there are rental shortages because?