sharetrader

Hybrid View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Do you think as the balance tips more in favour of tenants, there will be more landlords wishing to cash up and invest their money in shares in companies on NZ's small stock exchange thereby making it more worthwhile for companies to maintain their NZ listings?
    Yes. I am seeing it within my own family.
    And those new investors often already trust property. So the Retirement companies, VHP, PFI etc are probably going to form part of their investments that they are already comfortable with. So while they might be concerned about the sharemarket…..they may feel more confident with real estate sector of it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Yes. I am seeing it within my own family.
    And those new investors often already trust property. So the Retirement companies, VHP, PFI etc are probably going to form part of their investments that they are already comfortable with. So while they might be concerned about the sharemarket…..they may feel more confident with real estate sector of it.
    The end game is that there will be fewer and fewer rentals on the market and rents will go up as demand increases and supply diminishes. My end game is to go through this short term pain with my rentals to reap the increased rent rewards in 3-5 years time. This is not good for renters no matter how well intentioned by this govt.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    The end game is that there will be fewer and fewer rentals on the market and rents will go up as demand increases and supply diminishes. My end game is to go through this short term pain with my rentals to reap the increased rent rewards in 3-5 years time. This is not good for renters no matter how well intentioned by this govt.
    It may be good in making property available for first time buyers looking for owner-occupation?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    It may be good in making property available for first time buyers looking for owner-occupation?
    It certainly will, as property prices may also fall as more supply comes on the market. Which will in turn drive up yields. So hopefully the market can balance things out. But its not going to be good for renters.

But as we know we need more rentals ... the way its going future wise the Govt.(Taxpayers) will be building many more low cost accommodation blocks to put roofs over the heads of many thousands of kiwis that will rent for life
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    But as we know we need more rentals ... the way its going future wise the Govt.(Taxpayers) will be building many more low cost accommodation blocks to put roofs over the heads of many thousands of kiwis that will rent for life
    We need more houses/apartments/units. We need more secure, safe and healthy abodes for families. Whether these are owned by landlords or owner occupiers is as much a political decision/fiscal decision as anything else.

That's not what i'm seeing. The trend is more and tenants are being crammed into accommodations. Clear example is the house sold last year on my street; purchased by one of these 'investment property conglomerates where they pool individual investors to buy properties all over NZ'. For a 4 bedroom house, i'm seeing 8 parked cars (2 on the driveway, 2 on the grass by the driveway and 4 along the street). My guess there's at least 8 people living in the house which all appear to be university student age. The turnover of tenants moving in and out is like a train station. Oh and did I mention the brick mail box by the driveway has been ran over 2 times?

In other threads in this forum, i've expressed that the NZ housing shortage is due solely on NZ's RMA being extremely restrictive to increase housing density in areas that need it most. Issues like recession plane angles (which are rarely an issue over in N. America) usually is a stopper for any multi-accommodation project. Even here in Christchurch CCC has a max restriction of no more than 6 bedrooms in a single dwelling complex.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    That's not what i'm seeing. The trend is more and tenants are being crammed into accommodations. Clear example is the house sold last year on my street; purchased by one of these 'investment property conglomerates where they pool individual investors to buy properties all over NZ'. For a 4 bedroom house, i'm seeing 8 parked cars (2 on the driveway, 2 on the grass by the driveway and 4 along the street). My guess there's at least 8 people living in the house which all appear to be university student age. The turnover of tenants moving in and out is like a train station. Oh and did I mention the brick mail box by the driveway has been ran over 2 times?

In other threads in this forum, i've expressed that the NZ housing shortage is due solely on NZ's RMA being extremely restrictive to increase housing density in areas that need it most. Issues like recession plane angles (which are rarely an issue over in N. America) usually is a stopper for any multi-accommodation project. Even here in Christchurch CCC has a max restriction of no more than 6 bedrooms in a single dwelling complex.
    I think you misinterpreted my post. How is the above example that you make (totally agree) good for renters? I would not want to be crammed into accomodations. And paying a lot for it as well. Totally agree too that the RMA is far too restrictive in NZ and the supply of housing needs to be increased asap.