sharetrader

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    This is not true. I am part of the generation you are talking about and all I see around myself are people who are unwilling to work hard, cut unnecessary expenses and sacrifice their comfort.

It is really easy in NZ to save for deposit, but you actually do have to be smart about it. If you choose either trade or STEM uni, you will have no problems getting well paid job. On 50k, I was able to save 20k a year, now that my salary increased, I didn't increase my expenses and therefore save even more. In 10 years, I'll have enough to retire if I want to.

On the other hand I see my colleagues with same or higher salaries actually live paycheck to paycheck due to stupid decisions like having 10 different netflix type subscriptions, drinking every weekend and buying new phones every 1-2 years. Not to mention using uber-eats and uber on regular basis. Ohh and cars...
    Wow great for you being able to live on $21,700 a year or $471pw .and be able to save retire and continue to live at these levels is quite a feat ... but I guess if you eat and house yourself cheap(campervan/Flat ? at home with the parents) and generally live very basically it would be well achievable
    Last edited by JBmurc; 22-11-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu