Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
Yet interestingly in NZ, there has never been a fund to invest in residential property. There are funds for commercial property. I asked Brian Gaynor a while back why this was. He said it has been tried in the past but it just does not work. There is no money to be made in residential property. (in other words its too hard). So I do not think there are profiting mechanisms with residential property. I manage three rentals that have appreciated in value the last 10 years, but if I go back and work out the return after all costs, I would be better off having put my money in the stock market. Once the growth in capital value that we have seen the last 10 years plateaus, it is going to be a season of discontent for those holding residential property.
I agree blackcap. I do hold residential rental property as part of my portfolio and will continue to do so (unless this Government continues to make it harder) but it would be much easier and equally successful long term just to have it in shares.