Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
I don't know the specifics of the insulation requirements. However I am all for First World well-insulated homes for all in NZ. It would also help reduce the public cost of health treatment for many childhood illnesses amongst other benefits.
Being renter myself, I can tell you the insulation requirements are just a big joke. Only floor and ceiling has to be insulated and that only in case it's actually accessible to be insulated. In my situation the insulation is a 3cm styrofoam with about 0.5cm gaps in between the tiles. You can imagine this kind of insulation does exactly nothing to keep the house warm. This was approved as okay by 2 different insulation companies...

Coming from Europe I can tell you all the houses have floor/roof/walls full on insulation with probably 10cm+ rockwool airtight insulation. NZ houses are generally garbage quality and this is one of the reasons I decided not to invest into property. Other reasons are the quality of renters is pretty poor, Auckland properties are overpriced and government obviously guns for property investors.