sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonus Bonds

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    With interest rates where they are the prize pool
    is most likely even less these days . It’s really just a punt on maybe you will get the big one ...
    I don't know of any other punt where you can get your stake back if you're not winning!

I don't hold.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Resurrecting this thread, as I am finding myself once again contemplating this as an option. Heartland just dropped their Direct Call interest rates which now means my three accounts with them are earning sweet fanny Adams. These are savings accounts set up for specific goals eg: eventual car replacement, and general long term savings. I have emergency funds elsewhere.

Do those of you who contributed to this thread before, still “Park” funds in BB or have you given up on that idea?
    I checked out Bonus Bonds some time ago, and decided not to put my money there. Although they have always paid out one dollar for every dollar you put in, this can change. If their investments dropped substantially they could pay out less than 100%, as it just a managed fund. A few people are very lucky and get frequent small prizes with Kiwisaver, but it is like winning raffles some people seem to be luckier than others.

Advanced Member

I used to buy some every month instead of doing lotto.
    Cashed them all out a few years back. Had quite a few little wins but nothing over 100 dollars. At least got the stake back, unlike lotto

I had 30k in them for a year once going back a couple of years. From memory return was less than 1% before factoring inflation into the mix so not great but it’s the luck of the draw.

I cashed out all my Bonus Bonds 2 years ago when I received them as a gift about 15 years ago. I did notice the disbursements all stopped for several years. It seems when any contribution was made earlier on, I was more likely to receive a disbursement. I suppose after a few years the computer algorithm forgets about you and pays you nothing.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    I cashed out all my Bonus Bonds 2 years ago when I received them as a gift about 15 years ago. I did notice the disbursements all stopped for several years. It seems when any contribution was made earlier on, I was more likely to receive a disbursement. I suppose after a few years the computer algorithm forgets about you and pays you nothing.
    That seems to be a very common observation. Almost like it is rigged to give you an early payout to encourage more investment