sharetrader

Default “Total Returns” question

Hi. I am confused about something. I use the free version of Sharesight to keep track of my portfolio. I always, probably naively, assumed that “total returns” was the current value minus the total cost of my shares (including brokerage fees). The difference would include capital gain/loss and dividends. Is this incorrect?

Under the holdings info for a particular company there is current value and total cost base info. I expected to get the same figure as the total returns figure, if I take current value and subtract total cost base. But the figures are vastly different.

What am I misunderstanding?

Dilettante

I suspect this is due to your selection in "holdings" (the box on the left side above the holdings) . You probably have selected "in this financial year" or something else. If you select "since first purchase", it should all add up with your "total returns". Try it but that's what I can think of

I do have “since first purchase” selected there. Have messaged Sharesight so hopefully they can enlighten me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I suspect this is due to your selection in "holdings" (the box on the left side above the holdings) . You probably have selected "in this financial year" or something else. If you select "since first purchase", it should all add up with your "total returns". Try it but that's what I can think of

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I do have “since first purchase” selected there. Have messaged Sharesight so hopefully they can enlighten me. Thanks!
    Did you ever get an answer?