sharetrader
Page 5 of 143 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

“aromas” are not always what a bystander might think they are. The reality is, that no matter how often we change someone’s incontinence products, or how often we assist them with showering/washing, sometimes there is always a lingering smell. Many elderly residents have catheters or colostomy bags. They are very effective solutions to what would otherwise be very difficult and potentially embarrassing situations for people, but they are not 100% odour-proof. If these people were living in their own home, or yours, chances are you would experience “aromas.” It is not specific to rest homes.

If you were to come visit our rest home and wander around chatting with our residents, you would find that they are all very happy with the care we give them. Families also genuinely appreciate the love and care we show their loved ones. Just last week the family of a resident who passed away (in our care) came along and put on afternoon tea all the staff and residents. This was their way of saying “thank you” for the (their words) “Incredible care” we gave their father. They were with him every day - day and night - for about 10 days, before he died, and they saw first hand just how much we care. They were so grateful that their father was able to stay in his rest home “home” to die, and not have to be taken to hospital or hospice. Many tears were shed when he died, and more at the afternoon tea. Not the least of which were our tears.

I have recently trained to be a supervisor. When I work a supervising shift, I work from 3.30 - 11pm. Over tea time we have 3 staff on. After 7.30pm there is me, and one caregiver. We have no RN on during that time. I am responsible for administering medications, including controlled drugs such as morphine. I am responsible for 32 residents. If there is an emergency such as a fire, a resident has a medical issue or accident, I am the one who must act and make the appropriate decisions. If somebody passes away on my shift, I have to manage that and follow the relevant procedures. For all of this additional responsibility I am paid an additional - on top of my standard caregiver rate - $5.60 (after tax and KiwiSaver deductions). That’s it. My dedication, passion and willingness to step up and assume a supervisor’s position, is worth a mere $5.60.

I don’t do this for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Accepted and im sure you do.And as i noted staff are overworked so cant always pickup on an aroma from residents in their lazyboys on wheels as they rush past a room call ,way down the corridor . Sadly at the care place i visit most of the long term carers and nurses who had been there a long time and who had a calling to do this work left when new management came in. Very different now. I have also been told by a carer at one place Adult nappies are issued at a two a day limit and she has had to sneak another one for a resident.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 27-11-2019 at 11:46 AM.

justakiwi - Good on you mate. We need heaps more people just like you !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Agree.
    If I need care I think I will send her a PM, and try and get into the care home she works at.!!

IMO

Ditto sounds like the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    May I suggest we get back to the business of comparing retirement village companies and their merits.
    I see SUM has made some good announcements this morning

The St Johns site looks like a real winner. It will provide a home for over 400 residents and enjoy expansive views over Auckland City and Rangitoto at the higher levels. Should see some good profit from this one!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Sounds like you need a patch, plenty of gangs out there, who disrespect women as well.
    Typical deflection, own the slap and take it like a man.

Herbacious

Quote Originally Posted by penn View Post
    The St Johns site looks like a real winner. It will provide a home for over 400 residents and enjoy expansive views over Auckland City and Rangitoto at the higher levels. Should see some good profit from this one!
    If they're lucky, they'll get a good view of the new Rymans on Kohimarama Road.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Typical deflection, own the slap and take it like a man.
    Justfying violence in an old school redneck way.WOW.

I think we have all made our points, so .....

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    May I suggest we get back to the business of comparing retirement village companies and their merits.
    I see SUM has made some good announcements this morning

Advanced Member

I see the Blind Institute HQ site in Parnell is being demolished to make way for a new retirement village. With the adjoining property added on after they bowled the house, it's going to be a large site in a premium position. Anyone know who's building this & any details?
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 27-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.