sharetrader
Page 44 of 143 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Ultimately it comes down to supply. Yes demand has been given a sugar hit from the lvr removal and low interest rates but if the supply was there it would take care of the demand in that investors wouldn't buy empty houses.

Government should encourage new houses by offering a $50k loan for new houses for new first home mortgages. To be paid back in full if sold within 5 years or written off if over 5 years. Removes speculators, creates huge demand and creates jobs. Nz needs to build, build, build. Enough is enough of this rampant house inflation. Not good for the long term economy of the country.
    So does that make an investment into CDI a prudent hedge for those investing into retirement companies? CDL Investments website has the branding CDL Land New Zealand. They develop sections to enable this "build, build, build" to occur.
    https://cdlinvestments.co.nz/

If new-build rates remain low, retirement companies will probably keep on rising and this is the most likely scenario given constraints in the system make building enough new houses difficult. If however new build volumes increase sharply and this stabalises residential prices, CDI should be doing very well and a shareholders gains from CDI would help cover smaller gains from an investors holdings in retirement companies
    Disc - Hold CDI

Advanced Member

The following came through on my Herald Business RSS feed but is nowhere to be found on the site and I can't see the report on the CFFC site either. Any clues?

Wide-sweeping retirement village law change mooted, owners reject suggestion

Wide-sweeping changes are recommended to the multi-billion dollar retirement sector, home to a "vulnerable" population estimated at 43,000 people.Retirement Commissioner Jane Wrightson's office today released a discussion paper...

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    The following came through on my Herald Business RSS feed but is nowhere to be found on the site and I can't see the report on the CFFC site either. Any clues?

Wide-sweeping retirement village law change mooted, owners reject suggestion

Wide-sweeping changes are recommended to the multi-billion dollar retirement sector, home to a "vulnerable" population estimated at 43,000 people.Retirement Commissioner Jane Wrightson's office today released a discussion paper...
    probably doing this as australia royal commission into retirement villages is due to report early next year possibly with wide sweeping changes. NZ i presume might be watching this closely for possible changes here.
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greekwatchdog View Post
    Thanks, RSS feed came through a day early! Better than a day late eh.

Haven't read the report yet but Graham Wilkinson - Retirement Village Association president - says it has numerous inaccuracies so will be interesting to see some decent analysis in time.

My primary concern will be to find out the type and quantum of problems the proposal sets out to solve, and whether to solution offered does in fact address the root cause/s without impacting property rights. Rights of all parties.

The Retirement Commissioner suggests that docs need to be clearer for older people and their lawyers to understand. Fair enough, but what proportion of residents have had a problem with docs and how were the issues resolved. Anecdata will not be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Coming off the boil or just taking a wee rest is the $64,000 question ?
    I reckon its just taking a wee rest before the next leg up but time will tell.
    This is my thinking for the whole market

There are a lot of pressure points where we are in most stocks , indices, risk currency pairs, etc.
    Could blow either way I reckon. 3680 and above on the SP500 will be the bullish break through point.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Legend

posted in OCA thread, but relevant here too:

(apologies if already covered here)

Proposal to make retirement villages share capital gains with residents

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123...with-residents

Is the Rest Homes Party about to get too crowded - as more clueless muppets from another Quazi Govt Commission want to join in & have a mindless meddle in things ?

I knew there must have been good reason why I jumped out this sector a while back ..

Guru

Yet another mini ministry under the name of a commission... not sure how big and the public social sector is in NZ or for that matter any other OECD country.

It could keep a small army of doctorate students in study for some time to determine the real size of private versus public sectors in OECD country's.

Table below a summary of the main four in the retirement sector as at end of 2020 (numbers from NZX site)

Some observations -

• Overall sector performance not that good in 2020 with 3 of the 4 underperforming the NZX50. ARV and RYM shareprice down over the year.
    • SUM was the star performer with the share price up 40% - pretty amazing in light of the angst shown towards on them on ST
    • Relativity of valuation multiples didn't really change over the year - ARV and OCA PE and P/NTA ratios are still lower than SUM and SUM still lower than RYM.
    • Worth noting that higher ones market cap is the higher multiples one is rewarded with. Big is seen as good.
    • Looking forward to 2021 I don't think the relativities wil change that much - in a years time OCA/ARV will still be seen as cheap as compared to SUM/RYM
    • Share price appreciation no doubt will have to be 'earned' by growing earnings rather than overall rerating - unless the whole sector gets rerated
    • So whose going to grow earnings the most in 2021? That one will probably be the sector outperformer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Nice post Winner. My prediction is Rym will hit over $19 before the end of 2021.

i feel SUM has overshot and may track sideways for a year or two