sharetrader
Page 38 of 144 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

If you were going to put a relative into a retirement village,which company would you use/trust to give them the best level of care?

If I were you I would just employ me to be their live in caregiver

I guarantee you they would receive the best care humanly possible. Unfortunately nobody can afford to do that these days though.

On a side note .... if anyone has Netflix, check out a series called “Derek.” UK series set in a little family type rest home. Really funny and touching at the same time. That’s the rest home I dream of running

Quote Originally Posted by Playa View Post
    If you were going to put a relative into a retirement village,which company would you use/trust to give them the best level of care?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    If I were you I would just employ me to be their live in caregiver

I guarantee you they would receive the best care humanly possible. Unfortunately nobody can afford to do that these days though.

On a side note .... if anyone has Netflix, check out a series called “Derek.” UK series set in a little family type rest home. Really funny and touching at the same time. That’s the rest home I dream of running
    just out of curiosity how much roughly would it cost for a live in caregiver?

Playa, I would go round the rest homes in your area and keep your eyes open, chat to a lively resident. Get the feel of the places. Cut the choice down to the two best and let Aged Relative decide between them.

I have no idea. It would depend a lot on type of care needed I guess. I doubt many families could afford to do it that way these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    My guess if you could offer a self contained flat for the caregiver + 50k That might be a good starting point. Not that I know of course but I guess if I needed that sort of service I would probably start there.

If I had free self contained accomodation and meals provided, and an agreed time off schedule, I would do it for way less than that. Depending on the care situation (Full time or part time, high care needs etc) I would probably be happy with $30,000 - $35,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    My guess if you could offer a self contained flat for the caregiver + 50k That might be a good starting point. Not that I know of course but I guess if I needed that sort of service I would probably start there.

If I had free self contained accomodation and meals provided, and an agreed time off schedule, I would do it for way less than that. Depending on the care situation (Full time or part time, high care needs etc) I would probably be happy with $30,000 - $35,000.
    I think many people would think that more than reasonable. For a person that doesn’t want to leave their large house where they have been happily living for many years and go into a retirement home it is a very good solution. I also believe caregivers should be rewarded well particularly in this sort of situation. To me trust is very important and is sometimes very hard to find and it should be rewarded.
    There are older people that cannot trust their own families.

Advanced Member

Friend of mine was a live in carer for an elderly gentleman in Sydney for several years. Semi self contained in a large apartment but the gentleman was not very mobile, in bed most of the time so privacy not an issue. Don't know what the remuneration was, but I do know money was no object to the family and they were hugely grateful for the care provided.

Friend had use of vehicle and the many and flash apartment complex facilities.

New Zealand certainly has some very wealthy families and no doubt quietly engage staff as required.

Advanced Member

Very reasonable indeed. Just an idea that has been floating around within our family, as the parents wish to stay in their house for as long as possible.