sharetrader
Page 17 of 143 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    lol seriously though would you move into one or buy one if they become virus hotbeds and if a large % of old people die wheres the market?
    Sadly some people don’t have a choice and get forced into these retirement homes I don’t think the families of these people are automatically going to want them back home

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cadalac123 View Post
    Sadly some people don’t have a choice and get forced into these retirement homes I don’t think the families of these people are automatically going to want them back home

So true, and when you think about it they may be much better off in a Retirement Village than their own homes.
    They still have people contact living at home and at least there's an immediate high level of professional care if they get sick in a Retirement Village which isn't going to be available at home.
    Am sure my elderly relatives feel far safer facing this threat in a Retirement Village than they would feel living on their own.

large part of businesses for these companies is property development

one step ahead of the herd

large part of businesses for these companies is property development

Yes, but surely the attraction of those properties is a safe, fun place to retire to? The most profitable segment is the retirement village lifestylers that could still live in their own homes but enjoy the community aspects. People could think they are safer in their own homes now.

Thus some long term damage to the appeal of retirement village living. Which could depress the price of their property sales.

Coronavirus: 43,000 NZ retirement village residents 'at high risk at infection' - analysts

Retirement chiefs are meeting tomorrow to discuss a co-ordinated approach to the threat

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12316900

businesses will be toast if virus gets bad , probably why they meeting

Coronavirus: 43,000 NZ retirement village residents 'at high risk at infection' - analysts

Retirement chiefs are meeting tomorrow to discuss a co-ordinated approach to the threat

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12316900

businesses will be toast if virus gets bad , probably why they meeting
    This is a good thing and could bring about a small shift in confidence. Particularly OCA at a crazy - 40% below it's NTA!

Quote Originally Posted by youngatheart View Post
    This is a good thing and could bring about a small shift in confidence. Particularly OCA at a crazy - 40% below it's NTA!
    could easliy be 5% to nta in 6 mths too at current pricing

Sorry, but your post has forced me out of the lurk only promise I made to myself, but I can’t let this one go.

You are so wrong. The vast majority of elderly people living in retirement homes/rest homes, were not forced to live their. Many of them made the decision for themselves because they were no longer able to remain in their own home and/or they did not want to live with family, even if their family was willing to have them. Others, realised that they could no longer manage at home, that their adult children were not in a position to care for them, so a rest home situation was the best option for them. Very few residents are in these places against their will.

Not everyone is in the position to take on the care of an elderly parent. It may not be a viable financial option for them, they may not have sufficient room in their home for an extra person, especially if they are renting. They may have health issues of their own. There are all manner of reasons why it may not be an option. They may also have personality conflicts with their parents, which means, no matter how much they love each other, neither party wants to live with the other. Nobody should be made to feel guilty about this.

I work in a rest home and I see loving adult children/families visiting their parents often. I see grandchildren and great grandchildren coming to visit. Some more often than others, but this is due to individual situations/commitments - not because they don’t care. You are making judgments on people you do not know and whose situations you know nothing about.

Rest homes are not “institutions.” They are “home” for the residents who live in them. When you hear someone who has been to hospital for some reason, come back to the rest home and say “I am so happy to be home!” you know they mean it. Even more so, when someone who is dying, thanks you (as a caregiver) for making it possible for him/her to die “at home” rather than have to go to hospital or hospice.

To reference “Game of Thrones” - “you know nothing Jon Snow.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cadalac123 View Post

percy

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Sorry, but your post has forced me out of the lurk only promise I made to myself, but I can’t let this one go.

You are so wrong. The vast majority of elderly people living in retirement homes/rest homes, were not forced to live their. Many of them made the decision for themselves because they were no longer able to remain in their own home and/or they did not want to live with family, even if their family was willing to have them. Others, realised that they could no longer manage at home, that their adult children were not in a position to care for them, so a rest home situation was the best option for them. Very few residents are in these places against their will.

Not everyone is in the position to take on the care of an elderly parent. It may not be a viable financial option for them, they may not have sufficient room in their home for an extra person, especially if they are renting. They may have health issues of their own. There are all manner of reasons why it may not be an option. They may also have personality conflicts with their parents, which means, no matter how much they love each other, neither party wants to live with the other. Nobody should be made to feel guilty about this.

I work in a rest home and I see loving adult children/families visiting their parents often. I see grandchildren and great grandchildren coming to visit. Some more often than others, but this is due to individual situations/commitments - not because they don’t care. You are making judgments on people you do not know and whose situations you know nothing about.

Rest homes are not “institutions.” They are “home” for the residents who live in them. When you hear someone who has been to hospital for some reason, come back to the rest home and say “I am so happy to be home!” you know they mean it. Even more so, when someone who is dying, thanks you (as a caregiver) for making it possible for him/her to die “at home” rather than have to go to hospital or hospice.

Excellent post.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post

Well said