sharetrader
Page 19 of 144 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

I heard a wee whisper...ARV may be shutting its doors tomorrow..

Taking the long view, retirement homes are just that, a collection of potential homes. As far as who occupies them, that is the choice of the managers. If the demographics alter and there is a drop in the number of very old, then some villages may just become housing estates or apartments. There is still good value there.

Banned

They are already have plans in place... stricken the visitors...checking staff movement on traveling n etc. So far... nothing to worry...spoke to my mate...manager at one of rest home

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    I heard a wee whisper...ARV may be shutting its doors tomorrow..
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12317619

Where did you hear this whisper? Seems like the complete opposite to what you've heard has happened... being that it seems like almost every other village is "shutting its doors" but it is less clear what is happening for ARV

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Taking the long view, retirement homes are just that, a collection of potential homes. As far as who occupies them, that is the choice of the managers. If the demographics alter and there is a drop in the number of very old, then some villages may just become housing estates or apartments. There is still good value there.
    Precisely, the appeal of tranquil & well tended communities is not limited to the over 70's. Over the years some operators had been raising the minimum age. So I guess they could drop the minimum too. If needs be, for younger age groups they could investigate introducing alternatives to the ORA occupancy system.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Perhaps, but retirement villages also have a much greater on-site capacity to reduce the spread & to deal with infections, as opposed to those living in their own private residences.
    I have asked a fair few people of varying ages (but all over 60) if they've been spooked into not entering a retirement village due to this outbreak. They all felt the opposite. Better to be where you can get help, in an environment with the facilities and the processes to mitigate the probability and the consequences of catching it... goes for any disease or illness, including the common cold. In their minds, a rest home is closer to the environment of a hospital. Their perceived risks and concerns lie more with going to church. a library, or a school gala.

I recall a MOH investigation across a several rest homes/retirement villages (across companies) in a certain city last year as the fatality rate from the flu season and resulting pneumonia spiked. It happens often like cruse ships with norovirus ....it an environment conducive to it. They keep it on the down low yet it often occurs..if this gets a hold I'm placing my money it will happen in at least one rest home, perhaps not one of the main ones ..when that happens i will look at buying in early. The systems have been there all along and they have failed constantly..nothing to do with level of care or the staff care.

This time it will get publicity unlike the common flu, the PR risk is substantial.
    Last edited by Raz; 18-03-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    ... This time it will get publicity unlike the common flu, the PR risk is substantial.
    You have a valid point. The press will thrive on it while conveniently ignoring the stats of those who die at home of the same ailments.

Glad to see you posting again Vaygor. Always value and appreciate your posts.

One would have to think that once the Cvirus has run its course and mass fear has departed the markets, sanity will prevail, retirement villages will continue to be obvious destinations for the elderly.