sharetrader
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 381 to 399 of 399
  1. #381
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    ...

    New Zealand certainly has some very wealthy families and no doubt quietly engage staff as required.
    Many people would much prefer to stay in their own well-loved homes if possible. However it is very expensive to hire groundkeepers, caretakers and nursing staff especially for round the clock needs. Super-Wealthy families have always been able to do this. Recent years have seen greater divergence of wealth as land ownership and inheritances build up a concentration of wealthy families.

    Without underlying change post-pandemic, no doubt we will continue to further head back to a Victorian-era situation where more of the wealthier wealthy will be able to stay in their homes and estates attended to by live-in nurses and staff whereas the rest will need to move in with children or into care facilities struggling to survive with cut-to-the-bones government or charitable support.

    A further drop in the level of residential land ownership could have a negative impact on he growth of the numbers of new sales based on the ORA system of retirement village occupation?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 09-06-2020 at 08:02 AM.

  2. #382
    Alley Cat Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    637

    Default

    This could well be a good business opportunity for someone matching caregivers to the people who need this sort of care. When you consider the loss of capital in a care suite or retirement apartment of say 30% in the first 3 years the economics seem To be quite compelling.

  3. #383
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,342

    Default

    The REINZ national median selling price dropped from $680,000 in April to $620,000 in May

    https://www.interest.co.nz/property/...ril-620000-may
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  4. #384
    Doggedly sniffing out more food Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,557

    Default

    The REINZ House Price Index, which adjusts for differences in the mix of properties sold and is considered a more reliable indicator of the movement in prices than either median or averages, declined by 0.5% in May compared to April and was down -1.6% compared to three months ago.
    ^^ Extract from the link bull posted.

    Not much of a correction from the very high level's prevailing before Covid 19.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  5. #385
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    In Exile
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    ^^ Extract from the link bull posted.

    Not much of a correction from the very high level's prevailing before Covid 19.
    Not surprising – the population hasn't gone anywhere, interest rates have gone even lower, banks have allowed deferment and full the effects of the recession on incomes have yet to bite. Not a lot of pressure on people to sell at this time.

  6. #386
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    383

    Default

    If corona becomes more common I can see these being a risk. spread may be inevitable in every country. I suppose it comes down to the terms of the contracts and MET has the court case at least.

    wavering slightly on my oca holdings.. :\
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 16-06-2020 at 10:12 PM.

  7. #387
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,342

    Default

    Aged care pressures are mounting


    According to the latest Stewart Brown financial performance survey, 60 per cent of aged care homes recorded an operating loss for the nine months to March 20. The same period also brought the first significant decrease in occupancy levels for at least eight years.

    https://www.afr.com/wealth/personal-...0200629-p557b7
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  8. #388
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,342

    Default

    the biggest risk to the sector is covid and a timely reminder how 1 infected person can lead to a full blown out break ie melbourne

    Private nursing homes become the centre of Victorian COVID outbreak

    https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...0200727-p55fte
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  9. #389
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Aged care pressures are mounting


    According to the latest Stewart Brown financial performance survey, 60 per cent of aged care homes recorded an operating loss for the nine months to March 20. The same period also brought the first significant decrease in occupancy levels for at least eight years.

    https://www.afr.com/wealth/personal-...0200629-p557b7
    Where are those, who have been assessed as needing care, being looked after if it is not in care homes? Are they receiving care in their own homes - which of course is more expensive and often less suitable?

    Is this a story about the Australian situation that perhaps cannot be extrapolated in toto to the NZ situation.

    Obviously Covid is an ongoing issue that cannot be ignored by many market sectors.

  10. #390
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    the biggest risk to the sector is covid and a timely reminder how 1 infected person can lead to a full blown out break ie melbourne

    Private nursing homes become the centre of Victorian COVID outbreak


    https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...0200727-p55fte
    I'm not sure how many times people have to say this to you on this thread, but the Australian care situation is very different to the nz situation in many different ways.

    That is not to say Covid is not an issue in NZ - it has certainly impacted virtually everyone in some way, shape or form. Reality is, in NZ covid only entered 1 rest home - with tragic consequences - but in Australia and Melbourne in particular, they never really stomped it out (as it has been done in NZ) - so not only is covid not in rest homes in NZ currently, combined with there rigorous processes in place, but we (theoretically) don't even have that '1 person' to be able to give covid a chance... Might as well start comparing apple and oranges - it would be just as relevant as these types of posts (about Australian care and various issues in it, even prior to covid).
    Last edited by trader_jackson; 28-07-2020 at 11:27 AM.

  11. #391
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    I'm not sure how many times people have to say this to you on this thread, but the Australian care situation is very different to the nz situation in many different ways.

    That is not to say Covid is not an issue in NZ - it has certainly impacted virtually everyone in some way, shape or form. Reality is, in NZ covid only entered 1 rest home - with tragic consequences - but in Australia and Melbourne in particular, they never really stomped it out (as it has been done in NZ) - so not only is covid not in rest homes in NZ currently, combined with there rigorous processes in place, but we (theoretically) don't even have that '1 person' to be able to give covid a chance... Might as well start comparing apple and oranges - it would be just as relevant as these types of posts (about Australian care and various issues in it, even prior to covid).
    thats because there hasnt been a full on outbreak in NZ , so your statement is a bit naive to say it is different here basing your assumptions on it will never happen in NZ EVER
    a rest home or what ever is the same anywhere. if there is a full on outbreak in NZ it will be no different here to overseas that is the risk going forward
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  12. #392
    Doggedly sniffing out more food Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,557

    Default

    Not all rest homes and their infection prevention procedures and protocols are the same Bull. Just ask Norah Barlow
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  13. #393
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,342

    Default

    Passengers on a domestic flight sitting closest to a person who tested positive for Covid-19 soon after arriving in South Korea are being contacted as "priority

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12351458


    well this wasnt contained at the border so lets see how this pans out

    The Ministry of Health said they could not rule out the man became infected in New Zealand before travelling to South Korea
    Last edited by bull....; 28-07-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  14. #394
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    thats because there hasnt been a full on outbreak in NZ , so your statement is a bit naive to say it is different here basing your assumptions on it will never happen in NZ EVER
    a rest home or what ever is the same anywhere. if there is a full on outbreak in NZ it will be no different here to overseas that is the risk going forward
    Do you think that with any community spread of infection that those needing care would be safer being looked after at home by a range of different agency personnel? In addition with the less secure vetting of people who may turn up at their front door....What is the alternative to rest home care? The government would be under pressure to increase funding especially if many current borderline cost recovery homes were threatening closure.

  15. #395
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    7,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Passengers on a domestic flight sitting closest to a person who tested positive for Covid-19 soon after arriving in South Korea are being contacted as "priority

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12351458


    well this wasnt contained at the border so lets see how this pans out

    The Ministry of Health said they could not rule out the man became infected in New Zealand before travelling to South Korea
    Why is this post on the Retirement Village Operators thread?

  16. #396
    One Fearsome Feline winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    27,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Why is this post on the Retirement Village Operators thread?
    Suppose cos people were talking about community spread .....and when the virus gets into an aged care facility it’s (as an aussie said on tv) ‘only a heartbeat away from a calamity’
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

  17. #397
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    7,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Suppose cos people were talking about community spread .....and when the virus gets into an aged care facility it’s (as an aussie said on tv) ‘only a heartbeat away from a calamity’
    OK, winner. But from that line of reasoning can one conclude that any news or comment on the virus should be posted to this thread?


  18. #398
    One Fearsome Feline winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    27,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    OK, winner. But from that line of reasoning can one conclude that any news or comment on the virus should be posted to this thread?

    Spose it can

    Since the world started going weird anything seems to go on most threads eh....maybe they are just places for people to have a chat about anything.
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

  19. #399
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    ...we (theoretically) don't even have that '1 person' to be able to give covid a chance...
    Wasn't "Give covid a chance" Sweden's slogan for the pandemic?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •