sharetrader
Page 30 of 144 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    What strange logic! Do less business, make less profit, therefore can easily afford to pay staff more? Only the govt can manage that - with taxpayers money or by borrowing. That's where the plea for higher wages should be directed.
    if they are not recycling it into new developments there cash position goes up doesnt it
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Will continued or accelerated divergence in wealth be a consequence of this epidemic?
    I suspect that any really substantial social, cultural, economic, or technical upheaval now has that result.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I am hearing the opposite Beagle. After the hammering SME are getting from the COVID issues, many will be very reluctant to start new businesses.
    I agree, know a few that are pissed off that their chances to move on succession with Business have been screwed more by the environment that regulation here really does not consider SMEs. When it comes to ex-pats its safety for now..most will be off again for the big money when things settle.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I am hearing the opposite Beagle. After the hammering SME are getting from the COVID issues, many will be very reluctant to start new businesses.
    The word from John Bayley's right hand man last week is they're getting a lot of enquiry from ex pats wanting to move back. If you were near retirement and living in Europe with Covid 19 ravaging the continent and had built up a nest egg of a few million Euro's, you could certainly understand why someone might want to come back and convert their Euro's into $Kiwi and have so many millions they could buy almost any property they liked. N.Z. starting to be seen as a safe Island nation that's handled this Covid 19 thing very well. Some might even retire up your way where its nice and warm and you can still take the boat out and catch fish, (almost a waste of time in the Hauraki Gulf its so overfished its a sick joke).

Anyway, on another subject, viewings should be back to near normal next Tuesday so that'll be good for the retirement sector companies.
    https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU20...+23+April+2020
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-04-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Coronavirus: Rest home staff fear for another Rosewood catastrophe

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...est-home-floor

and one of them is a major chain
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

thanks for posting the article. Staff at our local super market had no protective gear except for the screens that were put in. Many young people has some gloves and that was it. A staff member putting vegetables out had not gloves and no mask. One of the big chains. It looked a shambles as it was obvious even a week ago that the super market chain had no PPE for its staff. Harding the economy to protect people from threats is something finally people might start to take seriously. Big roll out of tesing equipment and prehaps even fashionable PPE at kathmandu..

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzingironmansinlgescul View Post
    thanks for posting the article. Staff at our local super market had no protective gear except for the screens that were put in. Many young people has some gloves and that was it. A staff member putting vegetables out had not gloves and no mask. One of the big chains. It looked a shambles as it was obvious even a week ago that the super market chain had no PPE for its staff. Harding the economy to protect people from threats is something finally people might start to take seriously. Big roll out of tesing equipment and prehaps even fashionable PPE at kathmandu..
    Gloves are a total waste of time. I was speaking to a nurse last night who works in an old people home. She finds it amusing that people are wearing gloves as gloves are a far greater transmitter than hands. People also tend not to wash hands if gloves have been worn. People take less precaution when wearing gloves. The amount of people wearing gloves and still wiping noses, touching faces etc is quite amusing to see. Plain old hand washing frequently is what the staff at this home do and that seems to be the best. Gloves are more used when dealing with vomit and faeces, but that is more for a palatable kind of thing, not a virus preventer.

I too can't see the point of gloves, as you say blackcap, still touching their face/hair, handling money, the only person they may protect is themselves
    How many do see change their gloves after every interaction - very few
    I/m talking about outside the medical profession

Guru

well gloves may be a waste of time or not... but i like to take mulitple pairs of high grade gloves and masks with me most days and spray the gloves regularly with surgical soap and janola spray on used plastic ... takes practise with removal... full PPE for winter is already assembled as protecting yourself is something that takes practise... full face protection maybe required if the next virus is fully air borne..

Many of the non-medical grade gloves being used allow small particles to penetrate the membrane.

I would suspect that the professionals in the rest home industry are mandating medical grade equipment be used however.