sharetrader
Page 31 of 144 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Came across this bit in a article which is quite interesting.

Good for old people in age care to ‘touch’ .....these days might change that

If you ask the Japanese, they’ve formed a strong opinion about the topic after years of observational studies, quite a few of which include senior citizens. Studies conducted in senior homes across the country found a direct correlation between lack of touch and depression - and, with that, life expectancy. The less the seniors made use of their sense of touch, the earlier they would die. In typical Japanese fashion, they invented a special tool for the sole purpose of extending life: a robot dressed up as a fluffy, cute baby seal. It allowed the seniors to pet away, compensating for the lack physical contact with their busy, absent relatives and friends.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Speaking of touch there was a segment on last nights news about how this lockdown has been really good for people and their dogs as they can spend heaps of time together. Mad me really sad as I lost my last two dogs last year to old age issues. Tried to get a new puppy just before lockdown as I knew it would be beneficial and a great time to bond. Turns out I wasn't the only one, most pet shops sold out of popular breeds. I do believe the whole touch thing is very very good for people's emotional wellbeing. Some kind souls take their dogs into retirement villages on a regular basis so the retired folks can pet them. From what I have heard these petting sessions are extremly popular with the residents.
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-04-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Membaa

Interesting development in Aus retirement sector. 24/4/20

"The coronavirus pandemic has prompted many Sydney retirees to search for retirement villages out of the city. Searching habits have pivoted to regional areas leaving metropolitan villages with empty units."

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post

"The coronavirus pandemic has prompted many Sydney retirees to search for retirement villages out of the city. Searching habits have pivoted to regional areas leaving metropolitan villages with empty units."
    Interesting

Summerset been buying up regional / provincial in NZ

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post

Be positive for those who hold INA [asx], as they have a lot of villages on NSW Central Coast.Some great locations.

Ryman MOST TRUSTED in sector

Summerset and Bupa highly commended

https://www.trustedbrands.co.nz/results.asp

Permanent Newbie

It has probably been discussed back in the thread somewhere but I was wondering the baby boomers boom was 1945 - 1964 roughly the biggest increase was early on straight after the war so I guess the peak reaching retirement at 65yrs is now. What age do people generally enter retirement villages? 75yrs onwards? that would mean peak old people in about 2030. Any ideas if there will be over capacity after the boomer bulge goes through. I guess to know that you would need to know the number of village units in NZ as well as the numbers in the right age range and also "retirement village" can cover from unassisted living to intensive care.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    It has probably been discussed back in the thread somewhere but I was wondering the baby boomers boom was 1945 - 1964 roughly the biggest increase was early on straight after the war so I guess the peak reaching retirement at 65yrs is now. What age do people generally enter retirement villages? 75yrs onwards? that would mean peak old people in about 2030. Any ideas if there will be over capacity after the boomer bulge goes through. I guess to know that you would need to know the number of village units in NZ as well as the numbers in the right age range and also "retirement village" can cover from unassisted living to intensive care.
    We are entering a'new' New Zealand and our bubble will be coveted by the rest of the world, for a long time to come, so the demand for living in a 'secure' environment will be larger than many/most other trends, A while back I said 'I hold MET SUM OCA."
    I sold all at the early news of cov19 as I thought our rest homes would be decimated by the virus, but we shut down our borders early, and only a few rest homes were affected, thankfully, we are now in an enviable position, I have recently bought back MET as I like the chance of the 'take-over' still going ahead, but if not then I feel it is still a solid company, and will be in a good position whatever the outcome of the pending battle to go-ahead/or not with the deal.

LVR restrictions relaxed and two year fixed rate mortgage from a major bank at 2.99%...I have never seen anything like it !
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12330442 That's got to be supportive to some extent.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Just spoke to one of agent ...he said the apartment in Auckland just being developed...46 units sold...that is residential apartment.

Zero LVR n low interest are the driven