sharetrader
Page 53 of 144 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

You have to have a bit of a laugh at the use of the term "Monstrous" For goodness sake its just a little bit over the RBNZ's targeted 1-3% inflation band with the mid point being 2%. For many many years its been well under the mid point of that band, which has been cause for concern.

Obviously the N.Z. Herald and other publications are staffed by young people who cannot ever recall inflation in the 1980's of nearly 20% per annum or have never even heard the term hyper inflation or understand what is meant by that.

Online dictionary has the following detail regarding the word "monstrous"
    having the ugly or frightening appearance of a monster.
    "monstrous, bug-eyed fish"
    synonyms:
    grotesque · hideous · ugly · ghastly · gruesome · horrible · horrid · horrific · horrendous · horrifying · grisly · disgusting · repulsive · repellent · revolting · nightmarish · [more]
    I suppose they use the term under their creative license to sell papers and online subscriptions.

I wouold suggest the real term monstrous is best used to describe the journalists stooping to this level of gutter journalism which in my opinion is grotesque sensationalism at its worst.

As expected by any sane and rational observer, the market easily took this very slight inflation surprise in its stride.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-07-2021 at 08:28 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    You have to have a bit of a laugh at the use of the term "Monstrous" For goodness sake its just a little bit over the RBNZ's targeted 1-3% inflation band with the mid point being 2%. For many many years its been well under the mid point of that band, which has been cause for concern.

Obviously the N.Z. Herald and other publications are staffed by young people who cannot ever recall inflation in the 1980's of nearly 20% per annum or have never even heard the term hyper inflation or understand what is meant by that.

Online dictionary has the following detail regarding the word "monstrous"

I suppose they use the term under their creative license to sell papers and online subscriptions.

I wouold suggest the real term monstrous is best used to describe the journalists stooping to this level of gutter journalism.

As expected by any sane and rational observer, the market easily took this very slight inflation surprise in its stride.
    Beagle that 80’s inflation wasn’t good and wasn’t it before the RBNZ act to fight inflation ? Think this is only the start , Wellington rates are going to be up 13.5% this year . Forecast is 5% next 10 years . ( so will be higher ) Labour costs are through the roof , petrol up . House insurance 10% plus as the build cost has risen significantly .
    I think there is more to come . Not so sure about market taking it in its stride , ASB were worried enough they lifted rates before the OCR announcement . There has been a rush for people to lock in longer term fixed rates ever since . Be a very interesting next RBNZ OCR announcement .

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=Beagle;895372]You have to have a bit of a laugh at the use of the term "Monstrous" For goodness sake its just a little bit over the RBNZ's targeted 1-3% inflation band with the mid point being 2%. For many many years its been well under the mid point of that band, which has been cause for concern.

Duplicate …
    Last edited by stoploss; 16-07-2021 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Guru

You have to have a bit of a laugh at the use of the term "Monstrous" For goodness sake its just a little bit over the RBNZ's targeted 1-3% inflation band with the mid point being 2%. For many many years its been well under the mid point of that band, which has been cause for concern....
    I remember in the 80's (consumer price) inflation ticked along at about 15% pa. I would think about something and when I reached a decision it would cost a fair bit extra. I guess what is monstrous is with respect to context. If your wage rate only increases by 2% pa plus income tax bracket creep, then 3% CPI inflation is starting to look like a horned beast.

If you have fixed interest deposits accumulating for a house deposit earning 2.5% before tax, then 3% inflation (And 30% house inflation) is beyond monstrous.

Inflation going to inflate away the Monstrous public debt

As far as RBNZ goes core inflation is 2.2% - they use a sectoral factor measure

Apparently first time in more than a decade it has exceeded the midpoint of their target range

And you’d expect it to fluctuate either side of the midpoint over time
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    As far as RBNZ goes core inflation is 2.2% - they use a sectoral factor measure

Apparently first time in more than a decade it has exceeded the midpoint of their target range

And you’d expect it to fluctuate either side of the midpoint over time
    It's been below the 1% for quite some time - and they couldn't get it up.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    It's been below the 1% for quite some time - and they couldn't get it up.
    Inflation been trending down for centuries so what’s changed.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Inflation been trending down for centuries so what’s changed.
    What's changed?
    It could be heading up a little (I say little) due to a few constraints but I doubt we'll see 18-20% again.

Guru

Wont even hit 4% again.

No wage growth in any country above inflation pre-pandemic.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 20-07-2021 at 10:17 AM.