sharetrader
Page 58 of 143 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Consumer NZ has lodged a complaint with the Commerce Commission that villages may be misleading on whether care beds will be available.

Fair enough I thought.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/c...TLWK5TVDUCDMY/
    Continuum of care is a major selling point for many operators.

The Retirement Village Residents Association of New Zealand told a parliamentary select committee retirement villages operate almost like "a quasi-Ponzi scheme" and asked the committee to support an urgent review of the relevant legislation.

Doesn't want a multi year review --- immediate change needed
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Hats off to the big players. Impressive.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/12616...uring-lockdown
    Fair enough that for example supermarket workers get 10% extra during lockdown (Countdown) because they're directly in the line of fire of possible Covid infection. Not so sure that retirement village workers are exposed to the same level of danger or are so fully deserving of so called danger money.
    "Both say it is to thank staff who are caring for thousands of residents each day". Aren't they just doing their normal job and due to restricted entry to villages are not exposed to anything like the degree of widespread risks that supermarket workers are ?

I get the sense this is simply a bribe to minimize absenteeism and therefore is a commercial decision regarding ensuring continuity of services as compared to being generous per se...or maybe I am an old cynical mutt...probably lol
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-09-2021 at 08:43 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Fair enough that for example supermarket workers get 10% extra during lockdown (Countdown) because they're directly in the line of fire of possible Covid infection. Not so sure that retirement village workers are exposed to the same level of danger or are so fully deserving of so called danger money.
    "Both say it is to thank staff who are caring for thousands of residents each day". Aren't they just doing their normal job and due to restricted entry to villages are not exposed to anything like the degree of widespread risks that supermarket workers are ?

I get the sense this is simply a bribe to minimize absenteeism and therefore is a commercial decision regarding ensuring continuity of services as compared to being generous per se...or maybe I am an old cynical mutt...probably lol
    Correct.An old cynical mutt.Time for one of your treats...lol

Naturally RELAX
    Calming morsels for any time of day
    • Aids mood regulation and helps
    reduce anxiety, having a
    calming effect.
    • Rich in Calcium, Magnesium, Iron
    and Vitamin C and Omega 3.
    • 100% grassfed beef ingredients
    for that natural taste your dog
    will love.
    Comes in cookies and bites varieties.
    Ingredients:
    • Grassfed beef spleen, beef liver
    and beef pancreas,
    • Antarctic krill,
    • Wild caught Hoki fish eggs,
    • Bovine gelatine,
    • Kiwifruit*...
    and nothing else!
    Feed as a training treat or snack as
    part of a balanced diet.
    *Bites are formulated with
    beef bone instead
    of kiwifruit

I don't think it is intended as "danger money" - more like appreciation for the fact that working through lockdowns has created extra work, additional stress and many staff have had to pick up extra shifts to cover staff off work with cold symptoms - until they have returned a negative covid test. Since first lockdown, I have had three covid tests - all mandatory for staff displaying cold symptoms. Several days off work each time. Someone had to cover my shifts while I was off. Some staff have had to work 6 shifts in a row at times.

So yes, we have been working our usual jobs but things have been far from "normal" for significant periods of time. As an OCA shareholder I have no issue with them showing their appreciation with a financial reward. As a caregiver it would make me feel more valued than a mere " thank you" would.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    The Retirement Village Residents Association of New Zealand told a parliamentary select committee retirement villages operate almost like "a quasi-Ponzi scheme" and asked the committee to support an urgent review of the relevant legislation.

Doesn't want a multi year review --- immediate change needed
    Surely the whole of NZ residential housing has been a quasi-Ponzi scheme for those who can afford to join in.

If I understand it correctly, It has been compulsory for intending residents to have independent legal advice before signing an ORA. Perhaps some residents (and/or their families) now have remorse that they have since missed out on some capital gains from home ownership as the result of the pandemic drop in interest rates?

Fair enough Justakiwi, appreciate the feedback on what its like on the front line of care. As you say, these are not normal times.

Bjauck = Yes they must get legal advice and there's a 15 working day cool off period as well. Yes to your latter point. Some people want all the enjoyment and camaraderie of living in a retirement village but not the costs that go with it and some family members have an entitlement expectation about their inheritance.

Percy - woof, woof
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-09-2021 at 10:31 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

"a quasi-Ponzi scheme"

cant see how that is correct or anywhere near it.

Its driven by supply and demand and no one has lost any money until the fat lady sings and she hasnt yet. Soon maybe. Even then its not even remotely like a P Scheme.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 24-09-2021 at 10:43 PM.

I don't really see a problem with the retirement structures.
    I go into arvida to do work and they do a great job of doing them back up to be like brand new. My only complaint would be the waste of materials that probably still have life in them.
    My grandmother moves in to Oceania on Monday into a brandnew one and it looks great. Yes if she lives more than 3 years the rate is 30% off the purchase price but having the (don't have to worry about anything housing wise will be great).
    On another note does anyone have any tips about westpac investing. As because she basically has no drivers licence and passport it's a pain on the arse to put her money outside her bank. I'd like to put it into something more than a bank savings.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzingironmansinlgescul View Post
    "a quasi-Ponzi scheme"

cant see how that is correct or anywhere near it.

Its driven by supply and demand and no one has lost any money until the fat lady sings and she hasnt yet. Soon maybe. Even then its not even remotely like a P Scheme.
    True it is quasi, the element of fraud is missing. Everything has legal and government blessing.

Supply - is kept to a trickle by various regulations
    Demand - is inflated by The Government (immigration, fiscal and monetary settings) / RBNZ inflation targets that have not adequately taken into account asset inflation /Profitable Bank residential lending (mostly by foreign owned banks as Kiwis have stuffed their money into land)

For how long will interest rates stay so low? Maybe they are the new normal? The Fat Lady has got so very fat. When she sings it could be a belter?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 25-09-2021 at 06:42 AM.