Underlying Profit

ARV +48%
    RYM +45%
    SUM +9%
    OCA +1%

SUM was June / others September

Ranked by growth highest to lowest

Must be a story behind the rankings
    Last edited by winner69; 30-11-2022 at 09:27 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Banned

Just a Kiwi -

It seems to me that the government has the same false mentality that private providers are only in it for the money. Those of us who invest in the sector know that is not the case. Providers are primarily looking to make a profit of course, but they also understand that the only way to do that is to provide quality services, excellent care, and to genuinely care about their "clients." I spent hours yesterday on a particular online "discussion" trying to enlighten members of the public about this. You would not believe how much angst and downright nastiness is "out there" about private companies. One or two of them have some personal experiences that have shaped their views (negative sadly) but the vast majority literally know nothing about the sector or these companies, but have tunnel vision based simply on the fact that these companies make money for shareholders.

Great post, you just explained capitalism. Profit is just how value is measured, without it you don't have efficient use of resources.

Profit measures how efficiently that these companies can turn dirt, steel, human labor, glass, concrete and a thousand other things into something that makes peoples lives better and people judge themselves by choosing to participate.

Watching the Pixar movie (about the company) the other day, hundreds of young animators busting it to try create something special... It goes to the box and makes 600 million, they are all cheering and jumping around. NOT because of the 600 million... the 600 million is the market telling them that they have produced something cool af that people pay to see, i.e. success in the real market, they don't need a Jacinda arts grant.

NZ is a communist cesspit 'You would not believe how much angst and downright nastiness is "out there" about private companies'

Absolutely disgraceful, total and utter ignorance. Do they really think the government can run all the services and fix all the problems?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Just a Kiwi -

It seems to me that the government has the same false mentality that private providers are only in it for the money. Those of us who invest in the sector know that is not the case. Providers are primarily looking to make a profit of course, but they also understand that the only way to do that is to provide quality services, excellent care, and to genuinely care about their "clients." I spent hours yesterday on a particular online "discussion" trying to enlighten members of the public about this. You would not believe how much angst and downright nastiness is "out there" about private companies. One or two of them have some personal experiences that have shaped their views (negative sadly) but the vast majority literally know nothing about the sector or these companies, but have tunnel vision based simply on the fact that these companies make money for shareholders.

Great post, you just explained capitalism. Profit is just how value is measured, without it you don't have efficient use of resources.

Profit measures how efficiently that these companies can turn dirt, steel, human labor, glass, concrete and a thousand other things into something that makes peoples lives better and people judge themselves by choosing to participate.

Watching the Pixar movie (about the company) the other day, hundreds of young animators busting it to try create something special... It goes to the box and makes 600 million, they are all cheering and jumping around. NOT because of the 600 million... the 600 million is the market telling them that they have produced something cool af that people pay to see, i.e. success in the real market, they don't need a Jacinda arts grant.

NZ is a communist cesspit 'You would not believe how much angst and downright nastiness is "out there" about private companies'

Absolutely disgraceful, total and utter ignorance. Do they really think the government can run all the services and fix all the problems?

Imagine in your old age rotting away in a state facility sitting in your own mess. Hopefully these people JAK is talking about, get to experience this utopia for themselves.

Big week for NZX but huge week for retirement stocks (except Ryman)

The winds have changed -- when the Brokers start putting these cheap as stocks in the Brokers Picks for 2023 the share prices will take off over Christmas and into the new year
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Big week for NZX but huge week for retirement stocks (except Ryman)

The winds have changed -- when the Brokers start putting these cheap as stocks in the Brokers Picks for 2023 the share prices will take off over Christmas and into the new year
    How smart U r ... My pick for next year SUM ...what is yours from this sector ? OCA !!

fletchers going after the retirement sector

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/h...with-residents

New retirement village model shares capital gains with residents

this is huge disrupting news

Its Vivid Living villages would have a 15% deferred management fee, which was lower than most traditional villages. Ryman had a fee of 20%, and the sector average was 30%, according to analysts.
    Fletchers would pay back 10% of the residents’ advance within five days of an ORA ending, not charge weekly fees after the resident had left, and would buy back the home within four months.
    Last edited by bull....; 07-12-2022 at 08:54 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

I don't think it is as disrupting as you believe. This is an interesting approach but it won't have a huge effect on anything in my opinion. The services provided are less than current providers, so those looking for the "lifestyle" option, will still go with the current players. This option is more likely to be taken up by less affluent "customers" who are not worried about or interested in swimming pools, bars or whatever - all they are looking for is a comfortable home, that provides them with security and peace of mind.

No "care" aspect either, which will no doubt please some "dogs," but continuity of care is really important to people these days. Couples don't want to be separated if one needs care/hospital level care at any point.

I see this option as something that operates in parallel to the current model.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    fletchers going after the retirement sector

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/h...with-residents

New retirement village model shares capital gains with residents

this is huge disrupting news

Its Vivid Living villages would have a 15% deferred management fee, which was lower than most traditional villages. Ryman had a fee of 20%, and the sector average was 30%, according to analysts.
    Fletchers would pay back 10% of the residents’ advance within five days of an ORA ending, not charge weekly fees after the resident had left, and would buy back the home within four months.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post

I see this option as something that operates in parallel to the current model.
    Same.

Im always surprised at how low the sales volumes are (eg I think it was in the dozens for OCA - new ones anyway) relative to the the tens of thousands in the over 75 age group and to me this (high quality retirement lifestyle) is a demand trend heading steadily, quietly upwards. As long as someone has a mortgage free house - most boomers - they are quids-in regardless of the shenanigans of the financing.
    I think a decent proportion will be happy to be more bothered about quality of final years than whether they leave 75% or 90% or whatever to their offspring.

Given I have scant empirical evidence or psychology qualifications, my hunch is probably a good sign to avoid the sector (and yes Im holding various, through gritted teeth)

Membaa

Big day for the health care sector, especially nurses. Hopefully gives a breather to the sector suffering from staffing levels and underpaid care.

https://www.tewhatuora.govt.nz/whats...es-pay-equity/ Pay equity for nurses, including health care assistant.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...nd-bus-drivers Immigration rules changes, allowing for immediate residency for nurses and midwives.

Good news for those it applies to, but this is something completely separate to the pay parity funding the government announced the other day. This only applies to RNs and Health Care Assistants working in DHB situations. It doesn't apply to anyone working in the Aged Care Sector. I have emailed the union, for clarification, but I'm 99.9% sure it will not benefit this sector. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Big day for the health care sector, especially nurses. Hopefully gives a breather to the sector suffering from staffing levels and underpaid care.

https://www.tewhatuora.govt.nz/whats...es-pay-equity/ Pay equity for nurses, including health care assistant.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...nd-bus-drivers Immigration rules changes, allowing for immediate residency for nurses and midwives.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 12-12-2022 at 10:01 PM.