sharetrader
    On the doghouse

Default The 'GoodReturns Market Report' from Tarawera Publishing (?)

Hi Vince (and others),

I seem to have been subscribed to the 'GoodReturns Market Report' e-mail list. Tarawera publshing runs the 'Sharetrader' website which I approve of and find very useful as an interactive platform for NZ based share investors. Tarawera also runs the 'GoodReturns' website. That one I do not frequent, although when I have been referred to that website by links I have found the content useful and relevent. However, I do regard the unsolicited GoodReturns daily e-mail as annoying.

My policy is that if anyone sends me a daily e-mail in the form of an unsolicited circular I put is straight in the trash bin without reading it. I did open a couple recently that contained glib two sentence summaries of any particular event that happened on the NZX that day. This information is not useful to me and just creates what I see as a spam stream in my in box. Despite there being a line of text within the e-mail that says 'unsubscribe' at the bottom this is not a link. So you can't unsubscribe.

In the supposed GoodReturns Market Report there is a line that says:

"You received this message because you are subscribed to The Markets newsletter"

When I go to the Good Returns e-mail newsletter page

https://www.tarawera.co.nz/newsletters/?p=1&ids[]=26&ids[]=90

there is nothing there called the 'Market Report'. So I suspect that despite what the e-mail says, it does not come from Tarawera at all. Perhaps the Tarawera Website has been hacked and this is third party spam. Can you confirm? Is anyone else getting this 'newsletter'?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 23-03-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

yeh I've been getting this in one of my email addresses and havent looked at it
    But when I unsubscribed it gave me a hopeful response from a tarawera domain
    Annotation 2019-12-02 175507.png
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    yeh I've been getting this in one of my email addresses and havent looked at it
    But when I unsubscribed it gave me a hopeful response from a tarawera domain
    Annotation 2019-12-02 175507.png
    Ah so I am not the only one on here that got the message! The first one was received on 23rd May 2019 and a message has appeared on every market day since.

I was always told never unsubscribe from a mailing list that you never subscribed to in the first place. By doing so it will confirm your address as 'live' and it will be on sold to other spammers.

I can see the word 'unsubscribe' in my e-mail but there is no link attached. Can anyone post the 'unsubscribe' link?

SNOOPY

percy

I enjoy them.!!.lol.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Ah so I am not the only one on here that got the message! The first one was received on 23rd May 2019 and a message has appeared on every market day since.

I was always told never unsubscribe from a mailing list that you never subscribed to in the first place. By doing so it will confirm your address as 'live' and it will be on sold to other spammers.

I can see the word 'unsubscribe' in my e-mail but there is no link attached. Can anyone post the 'unsubscribe' link?

SNOOPY
    An unsubscribe link shouldn't work for anyone other than the receiver of the original email, the link should have a unique identifier in it (otherwise how would it know that it's your email that is unsubscribing .

But, it's a good strategy not unsubscribing from email you didn't subscribe to in the first place! Just can't be too wary on the internet.

Poor form imho that our emails have been used for purposes not intended.

I get the emails as well, bloody annoying low content or value so I have a email rule that permanently deletes them on arrival, so just don't get them in my inbox anymore. Like a lot of other ****e investing stuff that somehow seems to have found my email and spams me.
    Last edited by Baa_Baa; 02-12-2019 at 06:46 PM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    An unsubscribe link shouldn't work for anyone other than the receiver of the original email, the link should have a unique identifier in it (otherwise how would it know that it's your email that is unsubscribing .
    Ah quite right. I should have known that ;-P. Scratch the request for someone to post the unsubscribe link then. I just wonder whether the link is actually part of the Tarawera website, or is it a spammer trying to verify addresses?

But, it's a good strategy not unsubscribing from email you didn't subscribe to in the first place! Just can't be too wary on the internet.

Poor form imho that our emails have been used for purposes not intended.

I get the emails as well, bloody annoying low content or value so I have a email rule that permanently deletes them on arrival, so just don't get them in my inbox anymore.
    If I want to find out which shares went up and down significantly during the day , I just go to the NZX website, www.nzx.com, for the 'top five' up and 'top five' down. It's on the front page.

If the 'Good Returns' e-mail is genuine, and the objective is to lure Sharetrader members across to the sister Good Returns site, why not just put an banner ad in the existing ad space on the Sharetrader website to that effect?

If anyone wants to write a newsletter, I think it has to have some intelligent thought put into it to be of value. Articles need to be self contained, and not just one line of 'click bait' with a link. Writing a self contained article with a link to more information is OK though, IMO.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 02-12-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    If anyone wants to write a newsletter, I think it has to have some intelligent thought put into it to be of value. Articles need to be self contained, and not just one line of 'click bait' with a link. Writing a self contained article with a link to more information is OK though, IMO.

SNOOPY
    Well, I went to the website for a nosey and to my surprise there's an article plagiarising the theme, that I think that Beagle started recently (apologies if wrong), about defensive stocks.

I agree, if they want to attract readers to their website, just put an Ad in Sharetrader. Shamelessly using Sharetrader subscribers emails to spam them other website content is crass.

But that said, Sharetrader is FREE, so perhaps we shouldn't have heightened expectations about how they leverage our interest as subscribers? Not sure what others think about that?

On the doghouse

Well, I went to the website for a nosey and to my surprise there's an article plagiarising the theme, that I think that Beagle started recently (apologies if wrong), about defensive stocks.
    That article was dated November 30th at 8am. Beagle's thread started at 1:34pm on December 1st. So I think it is Beagle who is the plagiarist, or at least he would be if he hadn't acknowledged the source (which he did).

I agree, if they want to attract readers to their website, just put an Ad in Sharetrader. Shamelessly using Sharetrader subscribers emails to spam them other website content is crass.

But that said, Sharetrader is FREE, so perhaps we shouldn't have heightened expectations about how they leverage our interest as subscribers? Not sure what others think about that?
    Yes not sure what terms and conditions I signed up to myself when I signed on to Sharetrader. Mind you, I think that was under previous ownership. I am not sure if joining conditions 'roll over'. Sharetrader is a great service and I don't want to appear ungrateful to the operators.

SNOOPY