sharetrader
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Default 2020 Stock Picking Comp

Its that time again! Make your claim on picking the stocks to watch in 2020...
    The rules are similar to 2019 - with one minor change as outlined in (2) below.
    Feel free to circulate this widely - we had a good range of entries this year, and would be great to see that grow further.

Rules:
    1. Pick FIVE different NZX-listed equity instruments (incl. Smartshares and foreign companies listed in NZ). Companies/Funds with a market cap of less than $10m may not be selected.
    2. Please also make a SIXTH pick - this will be used as a 'backup preference' should one of your picks delist or merge during the year. It won't cover companies that are placed in liquidation or dissolved.
    3. Note that 'Cash' is one of the possible selections - this will assume a 12 month term deposit rate of 2.6%
    4. Each pick has an equal weighting. You cannot pick the same option more than once.
    5. Picks in by 7pm January 2nd 2019 (New Zealand time); ie, prior to trading opening.
    6. You may not use the alias that belongs to someone else on sharetrader.co.nz, or misrepresent another person.

Returns calculations
    1. Each will start with a notional portfolio of $10,000
    2. Returns will be calculate from the last closing price of 2019 (Dec 31st 2019) to the last closing price of 2020.
    3. Its a 'total return' comp, so Dividends will be included - but NOT benefits from imputation credits or other tax-specific benefits.
    4. Rights issues are included according to a formula that does not increase capital, but recognises a capital gain/loss on the rights for the year.
    5. If a selection delists or otherwise somehow dissolves; it will be kept but manually adjusted in your selections to reflect the realised situation resulting from the event causing this. The realisation will then be "re-invested" in your backup preference (see 2), allowing the opportunity to continue participation on a level playing field.
    6. Winner is the person who has the largest %age increase.

There are THREE ways to enter:

I won't publish what people are picking before Dec 31st.
    If there is a stock missing from the picklist on the survey form - let me know and I will sort it quickly!

Happy Christmas / New Year everyone...and happy picking.

Your faithful puddytat,
    Sylvester
    Last edited by Oliver Mander; 11-12-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: corrected link

Senior Member Toulouse - Luzern's Avatar

looks good

Dilettante

Thanks for doing this once again SC. Always a bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Toulouse - Luzern View Post
    looks good
    appreciated your feedback on the 2019 comp - hope the slight rule amendment goes some way to resolving the issue :-)!

The survey link does not work for me.
    I get this cryptic message from OneDrive:
    This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information.

Good on ya for running the comp again, you're a supercat
    Don't suppose we could pick a share listed on the unlisted platform with a market cap of more than $10m ?
    Some companies on there have a market cap of hundreds of millions.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Same issue with the survey link not working.

@SylvesterCat can I have a question? How do you get the shareprice data from NZX? Do you do it manually?

Passed use by date. Edited in lieu of removal.
    Last edited by greater fool; 10-01-2021 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Left Field

Hi all...I have no idea why the survey link is not working - I will sort it out this evening after work. My humble apologies.

In terms of data, I have set up a routine that 'scrapes' data from websites. It isn't commercial use, so feel ok about this.
    Definitely not manual! Beagle, will look into USX - not sure if this will be that easy for me I'm afraid, but can check it out.

Hi all...the survey link is now working and has been corrected in the post above. Please accept my apologies for that rather inauspicious start.
    Note that the following companies are currently excluded as their market cap is below $10m:

PIL
    SEA
    LIV
    GSH
    FIN