sharetrader

Thread: Hatch

Default Hatch

As a very small investor with a few NZ holdings and USF, is there any benefit/advantage to me investing in the US market directly, via Hatch? Considering this as an alternative option to adding another ETF via Sharesies.

Opinions?

From what I can see, and I do have a Sharesies account , though not a Hatch one - but I read their website - the differences are not that great. But Sharesies has an ongoing fee , so a large static portfolio would be better to have it with Hatch where the fees are transaction based (apart from a 50c a year fee for tax returns) not portfolio size based.
    I quite like Sharesies as a tool for novice investors to get into the markets. Hatch of course provides a US specific service and so would offer a much wider range of investments as well as more specific investments for well-known companies eg Tesla or Disney shares however small investors as you say you are should probably be sticking to ETFs so they can obtain diversity. But if you want to take a punt on say Uber or Airbnb shares then Hatch provides a way to do that. Hatch says they offer 2900 individual shares and over 500 ETF. Plenty to choose from compared to Sharesies. Its a great option for Kiwis to have, thanks for drawing it to my attention.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Senior Member Toulouse - Luzern's Avatar

Smile Hatch - I like it

I think Hatch is a great option.
    Easy to transfer $ at reasonable rates.
    Low transaction fees.
    Best of all quick and responsive software.
    Not clunky like many NZ options.
    Great reporting, analysis and screening.
    100%

Thanks for the replies. What I was really meaning in my original post, was is there any advantage to me investing directly into the US market rather than into another NZ global fund/ETF? Not so much about which platform I could/would do it through.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Thanks for the replies. What I was really meaning in my original post, was is there any advantage to me investing directly into the US market rather than into another NZ global fund/ETF? Not so much about which platform I could/would do it through.
    More choice of ETFs to choose from. Also cheaper management fees for US based ETFs. Whether it works out cheaper after factoring in fx, brokerage etc. depends on a lot of factors like how long you’re investing for, frequency and size of trades. The following article may help you decide and also contains a spreadsheet to do a rough calculation of fees between Sharesies and Hatch: https://moneykingnz.com/shopping-for...sies-vs-hatch/

Thank you!