sharetrader
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

We too have had numerous sponsor children 2 or 3 at a time (mostly signed up through Tear Fund). No problems there, they graduate off the fund on a regular basis.
    Fred Hollows is one I recently signed up for.
    Cure One is another cause I support - it is absurd that in this day and age people are suffering from leprosy (which is a cruel and devastating disease) when it is treatable through antibiotics.

Hopefully 2020 is another good year so we can all spread the wealth a little.

percy

Salvation Army for us.

We support the Child Cancer Foundation. We were donating to the Westpac Helicopter as well but it seemed they spent more money posting out letters telling you to donate money than running the helicopters.

Great to see so many of you showing such generosity to very worthy causes. Good on you guys !!!!!
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-01-2020 at 03:00 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Thanks Beagle. I will add that to our prayer list. Hope you have a rewarding year with your family. Last year we made money but lost two close friends to cancer husband and wife within six months of each other. our son was quite a challenge when he was on drugs for 10 years but the last couple of years he has made wonderful changes and his marriage is now going forward.

Biggest gain for me ,as in the title of this thread was EVS. ASX gain of 194% according to sharesight. Overall, 19% haha. So not so good but better than the bank

We use Tearfund mainly for kids in Peru . Thats where we used to work in a previous life,back in the day.

so to everyone a happy New Year and may it be a blessed one physically mentally and spiritually
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-01-2020 at 05:43 PM.

Bless you Yoda. I edited that down as you probably realise now, as it contained stuff that on reflection was too personal but I'm glad you read it mate.
    Good to hear your son is making progress. Yes, good that Chris Luxon is on the board at Tearfund.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Great to see so many of you showing such generosity to very worthy causes. Good on you guys !!!!!
    For many years we've searched for and found (with the help of a charity) a family here in Nelson that has had a particularly tough year and is hurting badly. Have told them to invite all their closest friends and family and we buy and have the Christmas dinner delivered for them all. We've always done this through a charity that works tirelessly to help such families and the cards and notes we have had back through the charity has been much more fulfilling than any returns in the share market.
    Agree Beagle it is nice to see so many on here do their bit to help those that don't have it so good, but not unexpected I have to say.
    Happy new year to all.
    Last edited by iceman; 02-01-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    For many years we've searched for and found (with the help of a charity) a family here in Nelson that has had a particularly tough year and is hurting badly. Have told them to invite all their closest friends and family and we buy and have the Christmas dinner delivered for them all. We've always done this through a charity that works tirelessly to help such families and the cards and notes we have had back through the charity has been much more fulfilling than any returns in the share market.
    Agree Beagle it is nice to see so many on here do their bit to help those that don't have it so good, but not unexpected I have to say.
    Happy new year to all.
    That is awesome...... I am really encouraged by this thread,

Me too! My brother heads World Vision NZ and from his travels and tales I can absolutely vouch for their integrity and the tremendous impact they have. Likewise for Tearfund where he worked previously (taking a 60% paycut to do so...) You won't get a better ROI^^
    Somehow I managed 52% on asx (now >3/4 of my portfolio) but a bit less than the index on nzx... still a proud Kiwi though

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Fred Hollows for me,every $20 donation can restore someones eyesight, something that I did not know, is that almost all children born blind in the third world die before they are 2!! .