sharetrader

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    (Moved from the Heartland thread as don’t want to hijack that one.)

As a beginner I struggle so much with threads like this one. I’m constantly asking myself “if all of these experienced investors have such vastly different perspectives/opinions on a particular company, how on earth am I ever going to get my head around it to the point where I can make good decisions about my investments?”

I’m not criticising or complaining, just making an observation. Investing is really fun but heck it’s hard!
    I think that if you are looking for investments that everyone can agree on as a 'good' investment at a 'good' price then you might be looking for while. A market requires a buyer and a seller on either side of a transaction. If everyone agreed, then as a buyer you would have no-one willing to sell to you!

Both Beagle and I make assumptions when we came up with our own fair valuation of Heartland. We both document what these assumptions are. But assumptions require some degree of judgement. It is up to you to decide if you believe in the judgement of that poster on the day. If you have a different assumption then take out whatever figure(s) the poster has put in their modelling and put in your own figure(s). Then crank the handle of the valuation model and see what comes out.

As you continue to read that Heartland thread, you will no doubt find that Beagle's and my position on a fair value for Heartland shares are not as different as you might have thought.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 11-01-2020 at 10:12 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7