sharetrader
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

I went to Canada once.

I was working in the Bay Area, California at the time and rolled up at San Fran Airport international terminal to catch my flight only to be told I had to go to the domestic terminal, but I still had to go through Immigration -- weird!

I visited Vancouver Island & Vancouver which, despite the name, are different places! -- weird!
    I had proper Maple syrup which was great, and Canadian wine which was not, indeed it was -- weird!

I also took a photograph of a Raccoon. The're -- weird!

With apologies to all my Canadian friends, especially the Raccoons.
    om mani peme hum

percy

Did you see The Moose.?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Did you see The Moose.?
    Why is the plural of mouse mice? And the plural of moose moose? Weird!

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    (Moved from the Heartland thread as don’t want to hijack that one.)

As a beginner I struggle so much with threads like this one. I’m constantly asking myself “if all of these experienced investors have such vastly different perspectives/opinions on a particular company, how on earth am I ever going to get my head around it to the point where I can make good decisions about my investments?”

I’m not criticising or complaining, just making an observation. Investing is really fun but heck it’s hard!
    I think that in its own way this thread demonstrates your point perfectly!

FWIIW, I was a beginner investor 15 years ago and still are. I don't post often because compared to all the gurus here my knowledge is just not deep or relevant enough. So I take a slightly odd approach and work along the following lines:
    1) My best chance of financial freedom is maximising my skills and opportunities in my day job. I have more knowledge and control there than I will eve get over a companies performance of the NZ tax system
    2) It is my money so I am actually best placed to decide where I invest it
    3) Point 2 might (actually does) mean I will get it wrong but if I do then I need to understand why and not repeat anything that I had control over
    4) Identify industries/companies that you think have a dominance and/or obvious resilience e.g one of the Aged Care providers or Ports of Tauranga etc
    5) Invest in companies I like - when you see their logo etc are you happy/proud to say you own part of that e.g Mainfreight - trucks are immaculate & there are lots of them etc
    6) Invest in companies that have passionate leaders - people that when you see/hear of then you are proud to be associated with them e.g. Mainfreight again
    7) Is their shareprice trending up or down - are other people generally buying or selling?
    8) Now start worrying about the noise/detail - what's being posted about them here, which way is their share price heading etc

I am happy with the close to 20% per annum return (according to ShareSight) I have achieved in that time but obviously many other poster will have far exceeded that, but I can't control that.

if I was starting now I would try to follow Percy's list a few pages back - as was pointed out that was gold.

Good luck and keep going - you don't have to be a guru to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by mfd View Post
    Many NZ companies fully impute their dividends, generally those who do most of their business in NZ. This does not have anything to do with FiF classification - most decent sized Australian companies are excluded from FiF. There is a list somewhere on the IRD website I believe.

If my dividends are fully imputed, I as a high rate tax payer pay an extra 5% compared to the company retaining the earnings. Not so bad. Even better for those on lower tax brackets who can claim the imputation credits back.

Agree some countries have more generous tax exemption, but this is not a deciding factor for me choosing where to live so it's barely relevant to me.
    Yes but should the business model be sacrificed just because it does or does not have imputation credits? They're distorting the picture by trying to prop up investors to favour such NZ companies when in the grand of schemes, abroad, you have far larger and lower risk, and more profitable companies to invest in.

We may be going off track here to the 'beginner's struggle' topic. I'll add to how the person in NZ is better off with buying another house instead of investing in shares. Key benefit being banks have no problems lending on houses at attractive low mortgage rates (leveraging). While you can margin to buy shares, the rates are horrendous and let's not forget, most NZ brokers charge like a 1% fee on the client's entire portfolio value as a 'mgt admin fee' that Buffet cringes about.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmsnz View Post
    ... I was a beginner investor 15 years ago and still are. I don't post often because compared to all the gurus here my knowledge is just not deep or relevant enough....
    We are all still beginners in that we should never stop learning and trying to improve.

With a 20% pa long term average then you are indeed a guru and you should post more often as you have a system that works and is worth sharing.

You will have people disagree with you ( like you buy Mainfreight just because the trucks are shiny ) but most of those gurus actually know no more than you, they are indeed mostly noise that you want to avoid (I exclude myself from that group obviously ).
    om mani peme hum

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Why is the plural of mouse mice? And the plural of moose moose? Weird!
    Goose ,Geese
    Moose ,Meese.
    Percy ." Did you see the Meese" yeah baby, right on !!!

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    As comparing to other countries, tax is everything. Especially in places like Canada where the SMALL investor can invest 100% tax free. For eg. RRSP, RESP, & RDSP offer the ability for the holdings to be sold 100% tax free. All these 'registered' accounts compound returns year after year tax free. RESP (education savings plan) the Cdn gov't matches contribution amounts and when the person is ready for uni education, they can sell the portfolio 100% tax free without having to repay the matching grants. Likewise with RDSP (disability savings plan). And then you have the TFSA (Tax Free Savings Account) where every Cdn resident over 18 can invest $6K (current contribution limit) per year (and the contribution amounts you miss in the pass can be added towards future years) ; ALL gains including dividends are 100% tax free. The USA has similar programs for investment that allow the small investor to be 100% tax free. But for the most compelling benefit for the investor in Canada (and likewise in the US), is they can structure their tax at retirement age to be at the low end of the income by selling the shares when they want to. As I explained before, in NZ you don't have any distinction on tax paid on shareholder income if the person is over $100K salary / wage income or $20K /year, because the income / gains from share investments can not be controlled ; much like dividends, when the board issues dividends it's beyond the control of the shareholder that may be stuck at the high end of the tax bracket. In NZ, the whole idea of deferring tax is alien like to the accountants I speak to but the reasons are clear. Who would not want to pay tax at a lower rate on their investments at a future date when their working income can be low or zero at retirement?
    SBQ, thanks for this insight on how investment taxation works in North America. A couple more questions (OK three) if you don't mind.

1/ The RESP (education savings plan): The government matches your contribution dollar for dollar and you can pull out the money to pay uni fees. But how much money can you put in if you are 17 and want to go to university? Minimum wages in NZ are much higher than in the USA for example (not sure about Canada). So if you have an entry level part time job as 15, 16 year old you aren't going to be able to save that much, even with a 1:1 top up. And tuition fees in the USA (not sure about Canada) are much higher than NZ? So overall aren't you going to be much better off taking a Uni course in NZ (no fees in year one remember) than in North America, even despite a 1:1 government subsidy on RESP contributions?

2/ You say dividends accumulated in these schemes are 'tax free'. But in the USA the company has already paid tax on the money they pay out as dividends. So in this sense the dividends are taxed at the time of payment, even if you as an individual shareholder do not pay the tax yourself. I am surprised in your implication of there being no withholding tax on dividends either!

3/ Once you reach retirement you can cash in your 'tax free' portfolio. But you are taxed once your portfolio is redeemed aren't you? So 'tax free' really means 'deferred tax'. Otherwise you wouldn't be telling us how you can minimise tax by choosing the point at which you cash your superannuation in. So how much tax do you pay when you cash in your portfolio in the end?

TIA

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 17-01-2020 at 07:20 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    You will have people disagree with you ( like you buy Mainfreight just because the trucks are shiny )
    Well that might depend whether you see a shiny truck or a management system that can send a clear and concise message about the company image and ethos through all levels of the organisation and have it acted on effectively

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    but most of those gurus actually know no more than you, they are indeed mostly noise that you want to avoid (I exclude myself from that group obviously ).
    Of course I would exclude you from the ones I want to avoid.

IMO

heres KW's equivilent to percys nugget in a nutshell guide to investing.Her simple T/A can help re when to buy or sell an investment or trade.

https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/images...quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by KWhttps://www.sharetrader.co.nz/images...post-right.png

I thought I might start a little discussion on the usefulness of TA for timing. Now I do NOT advocate trading based on TA alone (tried it, lost a lot of money) but if you have used FA to identify a select list of good prospects, TA can be quite useful at knowing when to buy, when to top up, and when to sell. The following are all examples of some of my recent share purchases and sales.

1. When to BUY
    I only ever buy companies that are in an uptrend. (Tried buying downtrends, lost a lot of money). The trick is to know when to enter. Get in too early, and the uptrend may turn out to be a dead cat bounce, or fizzle out. Get in too late and you may miss most of the run. My favourite entry point is when the 50 day moving average crosses above the 200 day moving average and the share price is above the 50 day MA. While you miss the early run, the risk of the uptrend not continuing is somewhat abated. I have tried entries based on just the share price crossing above both MA, but 3 out of 4 picks fail to continue on. I confirm the trend by watching the MACD (needs to be in positive territory).

Example: CGF - entry was in early March, when the share price moved back above the 50 day MA and the MACD turned up ($3.64 - $3.81)
    Attachment 4517

2. When to TOP UP
    Companies that are on exponential uptrends often present difficulties in deciding when to jump in. I have found that many pull back to a moving average, providing excellent entry points while the stock pauses and gets ready for the next leg up. Again, I use the 50 day average and MACD to confirm the uptrend is continuing, rather than the price decline being the start of the new downtrend.

MFG - has been in a strong uptrend for ages, but it took a breather and retreated to just below its 50 day MA. Entry point would have been end of April when the MACD went positive, and the stock price crossed back above the 50 day MA ($6.94 - $7.14)

Attachment 4518

Another great example is SIV - entry point is end of February ($5.90 - $6.28)
    Attachment 4519

3. When to SELL
    The first warning is when the share price drops below the 50 day moving average and the MACD turns down. This should put the stock on a watch list - its either a good time to top up, or a sell signal is going to be coming up shortly. If the price drops below the 200 day moving average I usually sell (I say usually, because its not uncommon for traders to try to drive the price down that far in order to trigger a bunch of stop losses, so you need to watch out for this little trick as often the share price rebounds immediately. IIN and CSV are good examples of this manipulation). If the "death cross" occurs (where the 50 day moving average crosses below the 200 day moving average, this is a signal that the downtrend is now firmly established).

ALQ - I bought into this thinking it had turned the corner and was heading back into a strong uptrend. Alas it was not to be, and in mid-March an exit was signalled ($10.50 - $10.80). Even though the price has rebounded recently, its still a death cross situation, and its more likely than not that the downtrend will continue for a while.
    Attachment 4520

I hope others find this useful - its how I make decisions at the moment, its very simple, but pretty effective. Its part of my "get rich slow" investment strategy :-) If anyone else has any examples of when they enter or exit, then please post them.