sharetrader
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    newborns should day-trade
    without a doubt.
    In for a penny or in for a pound?

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Another 2 cents worth, this time for justakiwi.

You're at a stage where you have to weigh returns against risk. You don't have as much time as JamesW's newborn to recover from bad stuff happening, so you have to be more cautious than you would have had to be 20 years ago. So in your shoes I'd be looking at a tilt toward property and infrastructure, and thinking about bland "global" vehicles.

But that doesn't mean you have to be entirely serious all of the time. Each year I throw caution to the winds and splurge $500 on whatever's cheapest on the NZX on April Fools Day.

A couple have worked out really well, some have gone nowhere, and some have gone right down the toilet. But it's been interesting and instructive to watch. and by isolating the rabid speculation it helps prevent me from doing stupid, impulsive things with "real" money.

Good luck, and occasionally keep us posted on what you decide to do

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Each year I throw caution to the winds and splurge $500 on whatever's cheapest on the NZX on April Fools Day.
    That is so random!
    But hey if BP's thread on analyst estimates is anything to go by you've got a better chance!
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

If you're looking to invest over many decades (in the case of a newborn), here are some thoughts:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffe...162715418.html

Takeaway: never bet against America

If there's one thing to learn from Buffett's latest investments, it's that investors should look at the long-term view of markets and remain bullish on the prospects for the U.S. economy, regardless of growing risks in the short term. The country has survived multiple recessions and still provided stellar returns to investors who did not panic. In an interview with CNBC in 2017, Buffet said:

"American businesses - and consequently a basket of stocks - is virtually certain to be worth far more in the years ahead. The years ahead will occasionally deliver major market declines, even panics, that will affect virtually all stocks. Widespread fear is your friend as an investor because it serves up bargain purchases. For 240 years, it's been a terrible mistake to bet against America and now is no time to start."

So when you rush to your Kiwi Saver and choose the various actively managed funds, which one should you pick?

Hi GMT

Thanks for the reply, sorry it been a while since starting this post.

Update

I have opened an account for my daughter with sharesies.

Glad I was busy with work and only just got around to signing up before the covid announcement.

My daughter had 1000 in her account so I transferred it across and invested in one fund and one company.

500 into smart shares NZX50 FNZ
    500 into ryman healthcare

I bought both of these not quite at the bottom, on the way up but they are both ahead to date.

I have also set up an auto invest each week into FNZ & USF

$25 per week.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    If you're looking to invest over many decades (in the case of a newborn), here are some thoughts:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffe...162715418.html

Takeaway: never bet against America

If there's one thing to learn from Buffett's latest investments, it's that investors should look at the long-term view of markets and remain bullish on the prospects for the U.S. economy, regardless of growing risks in the short term. The country has survived multiple recessions and still provided stellar returns to investors who did not panic. In an interview with CNBC in 2017, Buffet said:

"American businesses - and consequently a basket of stocks - is virtually certain to be worth far more in the years ahead. The years ahead will occasionally deliver major market declines, even panics, that will affect virtually all stocks. Widespread fear is your friend as an investor because it serves up bargain purchases. For 240 years, it's been a terrible mistake to bet against America and now is no time to start."

So when you rush to your Kiwi Saver and choose the various actively managed funds, which one should you pick?
    The one that is longest on stocks

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Another 2 cents worth, this time for justakiwi.

You're at a stage where you have to weigh returns against risk. You don't have as much time as JamesW's newborn to recover from bad stuff happening, so you have to be more cautious than you would have had to be 20 years ago. So in your shoes I'd be looking at a tilt toward property and infrastructure, and thinking about bland "global" vehicles.

But that doesn't mean you have to be entirely serious all of the time. Each year I throw caution to the winds and splurge $500 on whatever's cheapest on the NZX on April Fools Day.

A couple have worked out really well, some have gone nowhere, and some have gone right down the toilet. But it's been interesting and instructive to watch. and by isolating the rabid speculation it helps prevent me from doing stupid, impulsive things with "real" money.

Good luck, and occasionally keep us posted on what you decide to do

This year it turns out to be CRP - Chatham Rise * Phosphate.

No.

This year I'm having a year off.

Nothing wrong in saving $500 lol.
    This year it turns out to be CRP - Chatham Rise * Phosphate.

No.

This year I'm having a year off.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    The one that is longest on stocks
    The one that has managed share investments the longest? If so, that hold true to a certain point. Long ago in the 90s I had investments in Templeton Funds because of John Templeton's approach to value investments. Fortunately I never stayed long and moved it over to Berkshire and since then, that was the most wise move as Buffet has proved the vast majority of these managed funds underperform the index.

Find me a Kiwi Saver fund that adopts the same ethics and approach to investing as Berkshire does? Here's one to offer: How about not charging ANY management fees if the fund does worse than what the person could of done, by simply buying the market index return?

Guru

Longest?
    Mainly buying & hold,little selling .more buying over time
    "Having a “long” position in a security means that you own the security. ... A "short" position is generally the sale of a stock you do not own. Investors who sell short believe the price of the stock will decrease in value. If the price drops, you can buy the stock at the lower price and make a profit."
    Yeah same with Templeton. Moved on