sharetrader

Default Purchase time of day and SP

Purely out of curiosity, has anyone ever looked at whether there is an optimal time of day and/or day of the week, to place orders, in terms of share price? I have seen a couple of articles about this but nothing NZ based. Just curious to know what you guys think or have observed.

I remember Phraedus saying that never buy at open, wait about an hour for the price to settle - applies more to Aus than may be here, same with selling or sell near the end of the day. I should do the same - a couple of times recently bought near open only for the price to fall away a little

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I remember Phraedus saying that never buy at open, wait about an hour for the price to settle - applies more to Aus than may be here, same with selling or sell near the end of the day. I should do the same - a couple of times recently bought near open only for the price to fall away a little
    If you never buy at open, would that then be an invitation to sell at open?

I am of the opinion that it does not really matter what time of day you buy or what hour. Sometimes I thought I could see a pattern emerging with certain stocks for that pattern to be busted wide open by the winds of time.
    If you are a long term investor (buy and hold) it is irrelevant, I am guessing only the traders would keep themselves busy with this type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I am of the opinion that it does not really matter what time of day you buy or what hour.
    But it is important if there is 'a situation' (say a piece of news announced before trading opens) that you establish your strategy by setting limits on your orders.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I am of the opinion that it does not really matter what time of day you buy or what hour. Sometimes I thought I could see a pattern emerging with certain stocks for that pattern to be busted wide open by the winds of time.
    If you are a long term investor (buy and hold) it is irrelevant, I am guessing only the traders would keep themselves busy with this type of thing.
    As a long term investor I agree with you Blackcap. All my purchases and sales are limit orders anyway. I have never bought or sold at 'market price' and never will. I determine what price I am prepared to buy/sell for and stick to that price. Sometimes my transactions take weeks to process. Sometimes when buying the share price gets away from me and my bid fails. If someone else is determined to bid more than I would that is fine. Sometimes my bids only get partially filled, although this is rare. None of these situations worries me. If I do sufficient homework beforehand, I know what price I am prepared to pay /'sell at' and I don't let some other jock on the market at an alternative price and time influence that decision. If the price goes down after I buy in, then I am not worried either. I still transacted at the price I wanted, and someone else got a better deal than I did - good on them.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 21-01-2020 at 08:12 AM.
    Industry shorthand sees BNZ employees still called 'bankers' but ANZ employees now called 'anchors'. Westpac has opted out of banking industry shorthand...

percy

Yes sell in the morning buy in the afternoon.
    However I mostly buy or sell on announcements .
    If the announcement is better than I thought, or a surprise upgrade I buy.
    If it is worse than I thought or a surprise downgrade I sell.
    Mostly I buy/sell at market.That way I get what I want or get rid of what I am selling.
    Sometimes I will watch the depth,and buy what is on offer, if the number is close to what I want. ie I want 20,000 at 50 cents, and there is a parcel of 21,300 for sale, I buy them.If there is only 18,900 for sale,I just buy them.