sharetrader
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default My First Share Purchase

I though it would be interesting to disclose the first share you bought.

The year was 1978. I paid $200 for a Dunedin company selling shares in a Fitch Fur business. NZ Fitch Fur Ltd.
    Needless to say I never saw my $200 again, it went bust !!

Freightways 3125 shares at $1.60 when they had their IPO in early 2000s. Still own them and added a few.

I think mine was as part of a informal share club - 4 of us put in about $200 each and bought Prime... sold that for a small profit (this is easy money and then bought Chase Corp - I think we got back about $20 each.

It was either Infratil at 50c in 1997 or Guiness Peat Group at 50c at the same time - one was first the other was second but for a while they were the only shares I owned. I sold GPG at 75 I think.

Bought Colonial Motors in 1976 as part of an Auckland University share group called MIMIC, short for Millionaires in the Making! Interesting that CM still going!

Embarrassed to say my first purchase was Brierley Investments - before the crash. Purchased with my (then) husband on the advice of a friend. Knew absolutely nothing about shares or investing. From memory it was only a couple of grand’s worth, but needless to say we lost the lot. Was never game to invest again until 2016 when I bought 1000 KFL shares. Again, on the advice of a friend, but this time I did some homework, joined ST, started my learning journey and so far, I am (hopefully) doing a much better job of it

Guru

Either Carter Holt Harvey, GPG Group or Brierley Investments, sometimes in the early 90's. Was rather naive as far as investing was concerned but learnt a lot since then and never looked back.
    Last edited by blackcap; 20-01-2020 at 08:25 PM.

Flight Centre because a friend worked there. Bought 1000 shares for AUS $ 1 in the IPO and got so scared when it got to $8 I sold the lot ... been hooked on shares ever since

Advanced Member

Dominion Breweries. Early 60's.

On the advice of a very wealthy man. " If times are good people drink. If times are bad people drink ".
    He was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Embarrassed to say my first purchase was Brierley Investments - before the crash.
    Me too!
    $250 of my hard earned. Thought it looked like easy money - turned out to be true, just not for me...