sharetrader
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

I believe my first purchase was when I was 27 in Skycity and the Warehouse in 2003 and GPG. The Warehouse went down, GPG went up and I had at least one share split in Skycity, which went up. I sold my first house to buy those...... Just before the big property spike.... I did get my entire OE paid for by my shares back then. I got back and got back on the property ladder at a 35%+ premium in one year.

Remember all the bonus issues? Thought they were awesome

Quote Originally Posted by dln View Post
    Me too!
    $250 of my hard earned. Thought it looked like easy money - turned out to be true, just not for me...

Veteran novice

100 shares in Robert Holt Ltd, an obscure Hawkes Bay sawmiller, around 1960/61. That company became Carter Holt Harvey in the fullness of time, merging with Carters and Alex Harvey - itself a merger with J Gadsden, I think. I was long gone from the register by the time CHH disappeared from the NZX!

Some shares in a new listing as recommended by Mr Richmastery Phil Jones (the name of which I just remembered - Datasquirt). Needless to say it has been numerous years before I ventured back to the stock market.
    Last edited by Timesurfer; 20-01-2020 at 08:15 PM.

That brings back memories. My Dad was a Production Manager at Gadsdens. I have childhood memories of getting to play on the adding machines, staff Christmas party for kids and the indoor bowls alley they had in the staff cafeteria! It was Alex Harvey by the time Dad retired.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    100 shares in Robert Holt Ltd, an obscure Hawkes Bay sawmiller, around 1960/61. That company became Carter Holt Harvey in the fullness of time, merging with Carters and Alex Harvey - itself a merger with J Gadsden, I think. I was long gone from the register by the time CHH disappeared from the NZX!

Contact Energy when they IPO’d I think around 1999. On the advice of my grandfather. I was 11 at the time and bought them with the money I earned from my paper run. Sold them about a year ago so I could buy more A2 and OCA.

percy

Enzlon..Sometime in the 1960s.
    Set up in Shannon to make nylon stockings for women.
    Pantie hose came in just before they started production and they went broke.
    That was the start of my downward investment journey.....lol.
    Last edited by percy; 20-01-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Advanced Member

My First Share Purchase.

A simple question. With only 17 posts in reply.
    Already disclosing the huge depth and experience that can be found here.

Well done Sgt Pepper.
    Last edited by janner; 20-01-2020 at 08:46 PM.

My first share purchase was 100 L&M Oil on a listing allocation @ 50cps. They were drilling for oil in Tasman Bay. This was about 1967. I was living in Nelson at the time and it was very exciting. The well was going down and the shares hit $3. I was still holding when the hole was dry and they dropped to 30c I learned some very valuable lessons from this and subsequently traded them on subsequent drills but bought on dry holes and sold when they recommenced drilling.Great fun at the time
    SCOTTY

L&M and UEB in 1968, out to buy a house in 1973. Gave it all away to join a commune in 1980 - back in with a shareclub (MIMIC clone) with a range of shares in 1991, out to buy another house in 1994, and in again with PGW, THL, PRC (sob), MVN, and SKL in 2003.