sharetrader
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

As a young punter I lost about 70% of my portfolio in the 1987 crash and it's aftermath.Most of the companies I held shares in at the time didn't survive (nor did some of the brokers who touted them). That and watching a good number of people go from being moderately or even seriously wealthy to dead broke was the best financial education I could get. I'm just glad it happened to me then when the numbers were small and I would young enough to have time to recover than much later in life.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

An IPO in a thing called The Terrace Project. A Wellington property company in the mid 1980s which bought old villas on The Terrace, tidied them up, and rented them out.

The price doubled, and I sold.

Wish it was always that easy.

Advanced Member

Montana wines for .70 cents

Just because drank the product really. Turned into a good investment

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    L&M and UEB in 1968, out to buy a house in 1973. Gave it all away to join a commune in 1980 - back in with a shareclub (MIMIC clone) with a range of shares in 1991, out to buy another house in 1994, and in again with PGW, THL, PRC (sob), MVN, and SKL in 2003.
    Interesting to see UEB mentioned which were my first share purchase in 1968. My father knew someone who worked there and it must have been a staff issue at the time....at a very favouable price.

Wow reading all these posts makes me realise I'm really just a complete newcomer to the party. My first purchase was Mighty River Power (now Mercury) in the govt share float back in 2013.

Oil fields NL in the late seventies - it did not turn out well.

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Montana wines for .70 cents

Just because drank the product really. Turned into a good investment
    LOL... You and me both mate.... Although I bought in when they were Corporate Investments Ltd - later changed to Montana and from memory got taken over by Allied Domecq...

Nice profit on that one and not all down hill from there... :-)

Handsome Member

Was always in index funds as a teen but first individual stock I bought was RBD, can’t remember the price I paid but it was in the low $2s and sold when it hit $9s. It was the only business I understood hence I purchased. Made some silly mistakes since buyjust goes to show, buy what u understand.

Guru

Wilson Neil in the late 80's. Final result was like many of that era......

They were doing many things at that stage, but the reason why I purchased them largely was because I use to get served in their liquor stores underage!

The most solid investment criteria ever! (not)

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

First time around was Feltex in the early 2000's. I actually made some $$ off it - I sold when Sam Magill said in a press conference that he "thought strategy was important". Got a bit worried with the naivity (sp) of the statement so sold up. My portfolio at the time also included NZ Finance and Blis Technology - both of which I also profited from when I sold up to fund a house. BLT's price at the time (I think) was around $0.24.

Second time around, the first purchase was (like CD-CHCH above) Mighty River and then Meridian in the gentailer floats. Have grown rapidly since.