sharetrader
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

BNZ in 1987 on its IPO.
    Having just arrived here 5 months early and my family has not joined me yet then, I basically used a month salary savings as an expensive sort of tuition fee to learn the Market.
    It took 7 years after that for me to try another punt/stock.

Quote Originally Posted by CD_CHCH View Post
    Wow reading all these posts makes me realise I'm really just a complete newcomer to the party. My first purchase was Mighty River Power (now Mercury) in the govt share float back in 2013.
    And making me feel old.....before crash was working in Queen St AKL and would walk up to Stock Exchange twice a day to watch boards......or was that just the Chalkies....

Petrocorp. 1987. I was 14 then an made a tidy profit 9 months later when there was a takeover. Great way for me as a teenager to become aware of the sharemarket. Ive ensured my kids have a similar exposure as teens, they are sitting on a tidy amount of MCY and merdian that were purchased back when they were first listed. Hopefully in years to come it encourages them to consider investing in the stockmarket.

I bought a few hundred dollars worth of Renouf Corp in either 1985 or 1986. Sold them to pay for a $1200 one-way flight to London (about cheapest flight available in 1986!).

So I didn't own them in 1987 when they lost shareholders a bit of money. I found this abstract online:

In this paper, we examine the role of financial reporting in the rise and fall of Renouf Corporation and of Judge Corporation. These two New Zealand companies were nominated by The Wall Street Journal as the two worst performing shares on the Australasian sharemarket of 1987.

Advanced Member

Mine was Cultus Petroleum based on a friend's suggestion. Got taken over within 12 months after purchase at double my price. Similar story with second purchase which was Fletcher Paper. Got hooked on investing ever since. Lost it all when the tech bubble burst (IT Capital, Advantage, Spectrum, Newcall anyone?) but got it back and more after realizing my sh*t did stink and I had to educate myself better.

For the best of my re-collection, I brought my first shares in the late 70's investing about $200.00 in each Winstone's, DB Breweries, Dalgety's (Crown I think) and 2 other that I cant recall, through the Broker's Jarden in Wellington, on their advise. Probably the top 5 companies at the time. Using part of the proceeds from my fathers estate.

BFW (Burger Fuel) - bought 1000 shares for $1 at the ipo jointly with my girlfriend at the time.

Split with the girlfriend and she ended up selling me her shares for 28c each. Not long after BurgerFuel announced the USA expansion and I managed to buy a whole bunch more, and sell out at approx $2.40.

Reinvested the "winnings" into FPH (Fisher and Paykel Healthcare) where I was working at the time ... pretty good start to my investing journey

as a young kid still at school i brought chase corp and lost it all in the 87 crash
    one step ahead of the herd

First post. Fairly newbie here mine was BLT. @ 3.1c only for it to drop to 1.7c . On advice from reading this forum I doubled down at 1.7c and made good profit and free holding my original purchase late last year at 4.7c Got the bug now, I bought BLT with my annual bonus 3 years ago and was interested in them as I grow their K12 &M18 probiotics for them as part of my job so had confidence in them.

New Zealand Oil and Gas in the early 80's sometime. Paid about 80 cents if my memory serves me correctly...there were some oil "shows" in a well they were drilling a week later and it shot up to $1.40. I remember thinking this whole "investment thing" is pretty cool. Years later, Ariadne, Judge Corp, Chase and others were not cool.
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-01-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine