sharetrader
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Dominion Breweries. Early 60's.

On the advice of a very wealthy man. " If times are good people drink. If times are bad people drink ".
    He was correct.
    In the 80's I bought Bond Brewing.I did get some of my money back many years later,but I do remember quite a good quote at the time that Alan Bond had done the impossible twice, winning the america's cup for the first time in 132 years and going broke selling beer to australians!

First was Kingfish when it listed. Still hold and happy

Great thread - a lot of companies not around anymore! First share I ever bought was Tawana Resources, (an aussie diamond mining co) a long time ago on advice from a colleague who was a major shareholder, I think I spent $1k. Not sure what really happened, they started off well and then it just fell away to nothing. I just forgot about them to be honest, and by the time I decided to check up on them again some time later they were worth about $50. Lesson in that is always keep an eye on your investment. Got into buying shares again about 5 years ago after receiving an inheritance and have been keeping a very close eye ever since - some very good buys, some not so good, some shockers!

CROESUS U.T.

Beginning of the 80's had a early stage company with good cashflow so would buy Neil Housing shares as customers paid us, and then sell a few weeks later when it was time to pay creditors. Worked well at the time when NZ built houses in quantity and Neild seemed on a one way trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by CD_CHCH View Post
    Wow reading all these posts makes me realise I'm really just a complete newcomer to the party. My first purchase was Mighty River Power (now Mercury) in the govt share float back in 2013.
    Same but with the Genesis IPO.

Frucor. I was just out of uni and everyone, and i mean EVERYONE, i knew was drinking this new fangled drink called V like it was crack. Prior to that I never thought shares were something that I could ever be involved in, they were something that only clever business people understood about. It sparked my interest in share trading.

VIKING CAPITAL. Investment went to basically zero.

Now called Investment Research Group / General Capital.

I bought Telstra IPO shares in 1993? As a 21st birthday present to myself, lol.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Enzlon..Sometime in the 1960s.
    Set up in Shannon to make nylon stockings for women.
    Pantie hose came in just before they started production and they went broke.
    That was the start of my downward investment journey.....lol.
    Ah, Enzlon. Brought back a few hazy memories. An American, Baron Ralph von Kohorn emigrated to NZ and built the factory with what was said to be a second-hand plant from the USA. I think the company was initially called "von Kohorn of New Zealand "? Like you, percy, I had a few shares, convertible spec prefs, I think, as well as ords. In those days, I was an incorrigible small-time subscriber to many of the floats (IPO's).

percy

All very hazy to me too.
    Then I seem to remember buying M O'Brien a ChCh shoe manufacturer.Can't remember how that worked out ,although I learnt never to buy any company that deals in shoes..
    Then read Edwards Magee book on technical analyst.Spent hours reading it, and on seeing Arthur Ellis and co's must buy chart I brought some.
    Proved very early on that technical analyst does not always work for dummies.!
    Last edited by percy; 21-01-2020 at 02:21 PM.