sharetrader
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Veteran novice

O'Brien's did very well under import licensing restrictions - every rugby player, at least the schoolboys, wore O'Brien's boots in the 50's and 60's!
    Rogernomics put paid to that - and a lot of other protected NZ manufacturers.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Ah, Enzlon. Brought back a few hazy memories. An American, Baron Ralph von Kohorn emigrated to NZ and built the factory with what was said to be a second-hand plant from the USA. I think the company was initially called "von Kohorn of New Zealand "? Like you, percy, I had a few shares, convertible spec prefs, I think, as well as ords. In those days, I was an incorrigible small-time subscriber to many of the floats (IPO's).

Surely German with that name ...
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...g-German-baron

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Yes, indeed. The nylon factory plant, at least, was American!

Nelson Sea Products or some name like that in 1965. It was headed by a Sir Peter Phips so I thought my 25 quid was safe. Wrong. On recovering I went into UEB, Farmers Trading, Forest Products, Odlins, Dominion Breweries etc. and have done ok since. Only thing I am cautious about now is "Sir". Remembering Sir Robt Jones, Sir Ron B. and Sir G Douglas et. all.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Soolaimon View Post
    Nelson Sea Products or some name like that in 1965. It was headed by a Sir Peter Phips so I thought my 25 quid was safe. Wrong. On recovering I went into UEB, Farmers Trading, Forest Products, Odlins, Dominion Breweries etc. and have done ok since. Only thing I am cautious about now is "Sir". Remembering Sir Robt Jones, Sir Ron B. and Sir G Douglas et. all.
    Fair comment, Soolaimon, but at least Sir Peter Phips/Phipps? was a retired admiral - so he knew a bit about boats, if not about catching and selling fish!

My dim memory tell it should be Fletcher Forest at around 2000. Made loss

Bought some Air New Zealand A shares (for New Zealanders only) in the late 80s. Sold it made some coins and bought some AIR NZ B shares. Nearly lost everything when AIR NZ went into financial difficulties

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    LOL... You and me both mate.... Although I bought in when they were Corporate Investments Ltd - later changed to Montana and from memory got taken over by Allied Domecq...

Nice profit on that one and not all down hill from there... :-)
    same, forgot they were called that. Made it my theme for a while, buying drink companies as were easy to understand. Charlies, Frucor, Lion etc did well out of all of them.

Yes also had Charlies & Montana - think I sold out of Montana just after it changed to Montana or it may have been when it was taken over, in any event, nearly doubled my very modest amount invested.

Seems like an age but it really isn't, bought a modest amount of SUM back in early 2016 for $4.20. Have been in and out several times since and continue to hold. Have thoroughly enjoyed the learning experiences investing in shares has provided since then.