sharetrader
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by SylvesterCat View Post
    I have built my own tracking tool, which in reality does what Sharesight does (but free!). Agree that Sharesight is a great product though, if I ever stop being parsimonious I would happily plump for their product.
    I just use our Sylvester's own sharetrader game on this very forum to track my share portfolio. I organise my 'real' NZX investments into five representative groups. Then I pick one of my groups' members for each of all five groups as my competition entry. My actual groups are:

Finance: Heartland Bank, Turners Automotive Group
    Power: Contact Energy, Mercury Energy
    Telecommunications: Chorus, Spark, Telstra
    Manufacturing/Agriculture: PGG Wrightson, Scott Technology, Skellerup
    Tourism: Sky City Entertainment
    Branded Nutrition: Restaurant Brands

As you can see I actually have six groups so one does not make it into the competition. Yet the result that Sylvester posts each week is close enough for me to monitor my progress.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 21-01-2020 at 10:40 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

My new favourite word

(Made me think of my Dad)

Quote Originally Posted by SylvesterCat View Post
    if I ever stop being parsimonious I would happily plump for their product.

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I just use our Sylvester's own sharetrader game on this very forum to track my share portfolio. I organise my 'real' NZX investments into five representative groups. Then I pick one of my groups' members for each of all five groups as my competition entry. My actual groups are:

Finance: Heartland Bank, Turners Automotive Group
    Power: Contact Energy, Mercury Energy
    Telecommunications: Chorus, Spark, Telstra
    Manufacturing/Agriculture: PGG Wrightson, Scott Technology, Skellerup
    Tourism: Sky City Entertainment
    Branded Nutrition: Restaurant Brands

As you can see I actually have six groups so one does not make it into the competition. Yet the result that Sylvester posts each week is close enough for me to monitor my progress.

SNOOPY
    Good on ya Snoopy! I do use that database as the source for my tracking tool also, although add my foreign shares and forex tracking as well.

Outside thinking.

FWIW I use a combination of my Direct Broking portfolio and watch list info combined with Sharesite.

Two points I add to all the foregoing good advice;

1.) DB's watch list 'view' can reflect % gain from a 'base line' (i.e. not just the daily gain) and is v useful to track overall gains.
    2.) As I'm a big believer in the dangers of 'over diversification' I find Sharesite's free offer limit of 10 shares a handy incentive to keep my portfolio under 10 companies.

sharesight feeding from my asb account - getting quality information for very little monthly $ subscription is a no brainer - automation

Quote Originally Posted by Waiuta View Post
    I used the free version of Sharesight for a while but eventually bought the basic paid version which I'm very happy with. The flexibility of reporting functionality is great and the Taxable Income Report is well worth having in my opinion.
    I use sharesight and pay for the full version It is fantastic and my tax accountant says it saves me me heaps of money has he uses it directly for tax purposes. I am with the ASB for trades and they just go straight to share site by email from ASB straight into sharesight without me doing anything else. I would suggest playing around with the free version or watch it on YouTube as there are some educational videos tutorials

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I use sharesight and pay for the full version It is fantastic and my tax accountant says it saves me me heaps of money has he uses it directly for tax purposes. I am with the ASB for trades and they just go straight to share site by email from ASB straight into sharesight without me doing anything else. I would suggest playing around with the free version or watch it on YouTube as there are some educational videos tutorials
    Same here but with Direct Broking. It is great and saves lots of time and money for me

Thanks for all the info. It seems that Sharesight requires a user to indicate a Tax residency for a portfolio then calculates totals for each holding into the currency of the residency. NZ does not seem to be an option here. Or perhaps I am missing something.

I use Sharesight as well, and changed my portfolio name then could not seem to "connect" to ASB securities, so as peat?? pointed out I now forward the contract notes to them and it gets automatically loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy kiwi View Post
    Thanks for all the info. It seems that Sharesight requires a user to indicate a Tax residency for a portfolio then calculates totals for each holding into the currency of the residency. NZ does not seem to be an option here. Or perhaps I am missing something.
    I assume that you are missing something, my portfolios are all NZ Residency and the process is described here - https://help.sharesight.com/nz/add_portfolio/. I have been a ShareSight user since 2010 and think that it is well worth the cost.