sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just for fun

Default Just for fun

If I handed you $10,000 free right now, but you had to invest it all in one company/fund, what would you pick? Can be anywhere - not just NZ market.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    If I handed you $10,000 free right now, but you had to invest it all in one company/fund, what would you pick? Can be anywhere - not just NZ market.
    Not for fun,but for real, my largest holding[by far] is PAZ Pharmazen which is on www.usx.co.nz
    Here on ST I started a thread on Unlisted section, PAZ Pharma Zen, so it has its own thread.
    You will note I started off buying just a few, and as I researched and got to know the company [as well as directors and management] I brought more,then more. I think the thread is worthwhile reading.
    Most probably not suitable for most,as they now have a minimum holding of 20,000 shares which at 29 cents would be $5,800..

I knew you were going to pick them

Yes, I have read some of that thread but must go back and read the rest at some point. I know very little about unlisted - are they unlisted because they don’t meet the criteria for a public listing?

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Not for fun,but for real, my largest holding[by far] is PAZ Pharmazen which is on www.usx.co.nz
    Here on ST I started a thread on Unlisted section, PAZ Pharma Zen, so it has its own thread.
    You will note I started off buying just a few, and as I researched and got to know the company [as well as directors and management] I brought more,then more. I think the thread is worthwhile reading.
    Most probably not suitable for most,as they now have a minimum holding of 20,000 shares which at 29 cents would be $5,800..
    Last edited by justakiwi; 22-01-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Guru

I knew you were going to pick them

Yes, I have read some of that thread but must go back and read the rest at some point. I know very little about unlisted - are they unlisted because they don’t meet the criteria for a public listing?
    Not necessarily. A listing on the NZX can be bothersome, minimum shareholder requirements, continuous disclosure reporting etc etc. If you were in charge of a company with a diverse shareholding base and those shareholders wanted a market facility to be able to trade shares then the NZX is not the only option. Unlisted (its called something different now) is a viable alternative and a lot cheaper to boot.
    But some companies on "unlisted" could potentially meet the criteria for an NZX listing, just choose not to.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Not necessarily. A listing on the NZX can be bothersome, minimum shareholder requirements, continuous disclosure reporting etc etc. If you were in charge of a company with a diverse shareholding base and those shareholders wanted a market facility to be able to trade shares then the NZX is not the only option. Unlisted (its called something different now) is a viable alternative and a lot cheaper to boot.
    But some companies on "unlisted" could potentially meet the criteria for an NZX listing, just choose not to.
    The fees are much cheaper and reporting requirements loser.
    Most are listed so as shareholders have a market to trade their shares.
    Rangatira,Rural Equities,and Skyline are excellent companies.
    Zespri can only be traded by Kiwi Fruit growers.
    Syft I have a modest holding but could be classified as a spec.
    Bluesky are making the right noises ,but I will never invest in them or Silver Fern Farms as I do not like the meat processing sector.Been a great destroyer of wealth.
    Just seen Blackcap's post and agree with what he has posted.
    Last edited by percy; 22-01-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks for the explanations people. So, next question ... is the USX really only recommended for experienced investors/traders, or is it suitable for beginner investors/traders? I did read the disclosure info so am aware they are not bound by the same regulations as the NZX, but are there any hidden “dangers” or things one would need to be wary of? Less liquidity maybe?

The fees are much cheaper and reporting requirements loser.
    Most are listed so as shareholders have a market to trade their shares.
    Rangatira,Rural Equities,and Skyline are excellent companies.
    Zespri can only be traded by Kiwi Fruit growers.
    Syft I have a modest holding but could be classified as a spec.
    Bluesky are making the right noises ,but I will never invest in them or Silver Fern Farms as I do not like the meat processing sector.Been a great destroyer of wealth.

percy

Thanks for the explanations people. So, next question ... is the USX really only recommended for experienced investors/traders, or is it suitable for beginner investors/traders? I did read the disclosure info so am aware they are not bound by the same regulations as the NZX, but are there any hidden “dangers” or things one would need to be wary of? Less liquidity maybe?
    Liquidity is a very real issue,,...[but has not been for PAZ over the past year.]
    I guess it requires you to really do your own research, as brokers do not cover USX.
    Not all brokers trade USX stocks.
    I trade with Craigs,and I note people who deal with Direct Broking have to sign a waver, and then place buy/sell orders by phone.
    Most probably fair to say beginners should avoid it.
    You may note I have never sold a PAZ share.
    Last edited by percy; 22-01-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks! Really interesting info ....

So what would the rest of you buy with your free $10,000?

Liquidity is a very real issue,,...[but has not been for PAZ over the past year.]
    I guess it requires you to really do your own research, as brokers do not cover USX.
    Not all brokers trade USX stocks.
    I trade with Craigs,and I note people who deal with Direct Broking have to sign a waver, and then place buy/sell orders by phone.
    Most probably fair to say beginners should avoid it.
    You may note I have never sold a PAZ share.

Guru

Thanks! Really interesting info ....

So what would the rest of you buy with your free $10,000?
    I'd be boring and put it in FNZ.

Dilettante

One of my big punts in the last couple of years has been is OSSR on the Copenhagen stock exchange and I'd probably put it there :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ssur
    http://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/aktie...N=IS0000000040
    Last edited by iceman; 22-01-2020 at 10:12 PM.