sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Just for fun

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Canterbury
    Posts
    573

    Default Just for fun

    If I handed you $10,000 free right now, but you had to invest it all in one company/fund, what would you pick? Can be anywhere - not just NZ market.

  2. #2
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    14,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    If I handed you $10,000 free right now, but you had to invest it all in one company/fund, what would you pick? Can be anywhere - not just NZ market.
    Not for fun,but for real, my largest holding[by far] is PAZ Pharmazen which is on www.usx.co.nz
    Here on ST I started a thread on Unlisted section, PAZ Pharma Zen, so it has its own thread.
    You will note I started off buying just a few, and as I researched and got to know the company [as well as directors and management] I brought more,then more. I think the thread is worthwhile reading.
    Most probably not suitable for most,as they now have a minimum holding of 20,000 shares which at 29 cents would be $5,800..

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Canterbury
    Posts
    573

    Default

    I knew you were going to pick them

    Yes, I have read some of that thread but must go back and read the rest at some point. I know very little about unlisted - are they unlisted because they don’t meet the criteria for a public listing?

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Not for fun,but for real, my largest holding[by far] is PAZ Pharmazen which is on www.usx.co.nz
    Here on ST I started a thread on Unlisted section, PAZ Pharma Zen, so it has its own thread.
    You will note I started off buying just a few, and as I researched and got to know the company [as well as directors and management] I brought more,then more. I think the thread is worthwhile reading.
    Most probably not suitable for most,as they now have a minimum holding of 20,000 shares which at 29 cents would be $5,800..
    Last edited by justakiwi; 22-01-2020 at 07:39 PM.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I knew you were going to pick them

    Yes, I have read some of that thread but must go back and read the rest at some point. I know very little about unlisted - are they unlisted because they don’t meet the criteria for a public listing?
    Not necessarily. A listing on the NZX can be bothersome, minimum shareholder requirements, continuous disclosure reporting etc etc. If you were in charge of a company with a diverse shareholding base and those shareholders wanted a market facility to be able to trade shares then the NZX is not the only option. Unlisted (its called something different now) is a viable alternative and a lot cheaper to boot.
    But some companies on "unlisted" could potentially meet the criteria for an NZX listing, just choose not to.

  5. #5
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    14,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Not necessarily. A listing on the NZX can be bothersome, minimum shareholder requirements, continuous disclosure reporting etc etc. If you were in charge of a company with a diverse shareholding base and those shareholders wanted a market facility to be able to trade shares then the NZX is not the only option. Unlisted (its called something different now) is a viable alternative and a lot cheaper to boot.
    But some companies on "unlisted" could potentially meet the criteria for an NZX listing, just choose not to.
    The fees are much cheaper and reporting requirements loser.
    Most are listed so as shareholders have a market to trade their shares.
    Rangatira,Rural Equities,and Skyline are excellent companies.
    Zespri can only be traded by Kiwi Fruit growers.
    Syft I have a modest holding but could be classified as a spec.
    Bluesky are making the right noises ,but I will never invest in them or Silver Fern Farms as I do not like the meat processing sector.Been a great destroyer of wealth.
    Just seen Blackcap's post and agree with what he has posted.
    Last edited by percy; 22-01-2020 at 08:17 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Canterbury
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Thanks for the explanations people. So, next question ... is the USX really only recommended for experienced investors/traders, or is it suitable for beginner investors/traders? I did read the disclosure info so am aware they are not bound by the same regulations as the NZX, but are there any hidden “dangers” or things one would need to be wary of? Less liquidity maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    The fees are much cheaper and reporting requirements loser.
    Most are listed so as shareholders have a market to trade their shares.
    Rangatira,Rural Equities,and Skyline are excellent companies.
    Zespri can only be traded by Kiwi Fruit growers.
    Syft I have a modest holding but could be classified as a spec.
    Bluesky are making the right noises ,but I will never invest in them or Silver Fern Farms as I do not like the meat processing sector.Been a great destroyer of wealth.

  7. #7
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    14,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Thanks for the explanations people. So, next question ... is the USX really only recommended for experienced investors/traders, or is it suitable for beginner investors/traders? I did read the disclosure info so am aware they are not bound by the same regulations as the NZX, but are there any hidden “dangers” or things one would need to be wary of? Less liquidity maybe?
    Liquidity is a very real issue,,...[but has not been for PAZ over the past year.]
    I guess it requires you to really do your own research, as brokers do not cover USX.
    Not all brokers trade USX stocks.
    I trade with Craigs,and I note people who deal with Direct Broking have to sign a waver, and then place buy/sell orders by phone.
    Most probably fair to say beginners should avoid it.
    You may note I have never sold a PAZ share.
    Last edited by percy; 22-01-2020 at 08:32 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Canterbury
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Thanks! Really interesting info ....

    So what would the rest of you buy with your free $10,000?

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Liquidity is a very real issue,,...[but has not been for PAZ over the past year.]
    I guess it requires you to really do your own research, as brokers do not cover USX.
    Not all brokers trade USX stocks.
    I trade with Craigs,and I note people who deal with Direct Broking have to sign a waver, and then place buy/sell orders by phone.
    Most probably fair to say beginners should avoid it.
    You may note I have never sold a PAZ share.

  9. #9
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Thanks! Really interesting info ....

    So what would the rest of you buy with your free $10,000?
    I'd be boring and put it in FNZ.

  10. #10
    Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down & out
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    One of my big punts in the last couple of years has been is OSSR on the Copenhagen stock exchange and I'd probably put it there :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ssur
    http://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/aktie...N=IS0000000040
    Last edited by iceman; 22-01-2020 at 11:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Canterbury
    Posts
    573

    Default

    That's a pretty cool investment. Impressive product line. What are the shares worth in NZ$ out of curiosity?

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    One of my big punts in the last couple of years has been is OSSR on the Copenhagen stock exchange and I'd probably put it there :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ssur
    http://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/aktie...N=IS0000000040

  12. #12
    Ignorant. Just ignorant.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Irresident
    Posts
    914

    Default

    Zurich Kantonal Bank Palladium ETF, Switzerland, in CHF (ZPAL.SW), possibly tomorrow.

  13. #13
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    For real & for fun IFT

  14. #14
    Ignorant. Just ignorant.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Irresident
    Posts
    914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    One of my big punts in the last couple of years has been is OSSR on the Copenhagen stock exchange and I'd probably put it there :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ssur
    http://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/aktie...N=IS0000000040
    Thank you for the idea. Does the DKK/NZD exchange rate support it?

  15. #15
    Guru Crypto Crude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Straight into chainlink

    ^sc

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •