sharetrader
Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1234

Thread: Coronavirus

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    706

    Default Coronavirus

    Since this virus is only getting more serious, we should build out a discussion thread of its own since it has stock market implications for the overall market. I feel like many threads will discuss this so might as well put it all into one.

    China makes up about 11.5% of NZ's total travel numbers (450k out of 3.8 million visitors), currently it has restricted travel on tour groups from monday onwards.

    Here are some of the stocks likely to be affected (price tracking makes for a good case study too):

    AIR
    24/1/20 -$2.98

    THL
    24/1/20 -$3.00

    AIA
    24/1/20 -$8.88


    SKC
    24/1/20 -$4.07


    MCK
    24/1/20 - $2.72

    Stocks that could benefit from it:

    BLT
    24/1/20 -0.068

    AFT
    24/1/20 - $3.80

    FPH
    24/1/20 - $22.77


    Other potential impacts:
    ATM (May sell more or less milk powder into china)
    SML (May sell more or less milk powder into china)
    POT (shipments carry China ordered goods)
    SPN (shipments carry China ordered goods)
    NPH
    MMH
    QEX (NZ to China exports)

    Coronavirus Confirmed cases:30,827
    Deaths: 635
    Recovered: 1,615
    Last edited by silverblizzard888; 07-02-2020 at 11:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    474

    Default

    A big benificiary is CSL. Its cancelled my trip to China.

  3. #3
    2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    A big benificiary is CSL. Its cancelled my trip to China.
    Is that the ASX listed company? Makes sense, not sure you want to take the risk.

  4. #4
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    9,141

    Default

    In my city Tauranga chinese folk have cancelled celebrating chinese NY together.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Not sure whether BLT would be one though. May be the Chinese or anyone can buy them as a deterrent...

  6. #6
    2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carrom74 View Post
    Not sure whether BLT would be one though. May be the Chinese or anyone can buy them as a deterrent...
    BLT benefits cause it helps your immune system. Its products currently sell in quite a few places where the Coronavirus is in like China and Australia.
    Something like this could be good seller https://blis.co.nz/collections/home-...-with-blis-k12

  7. #7
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    7,480

    Default

    Just noting that there is another Coronavirus thread on "Off Market Discussions".

  8. #8
    Just a harmless teddy bear
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    28,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Just noting that there is another Coronavirus thread on "Off Market Discussions".
    ..but viruses spread like wildfire - so new threads could pop up anywhere
    ďIn a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.Ē - Benjamin Graham

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Another stock which I expect will benefit strongly from it is FPH, (anything to do with medical respiratory devices.)

    BTW, good post Silver Blizzard
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 26-01-2020 at 11:22 AM.

  10. #10
    2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Another stock which I expect will benefit strongly from it is FPH, (anything to do with medical respiratory devices.)

    BTW, good post Silver Blizzard
    Quite true, good mention, I'll add it to the above list.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    In Exile
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Pharmacies are doing a roaring business here in HK as people have stocked up on N95 face masks and hand sanitiser. Many have sold out of the former and jacked up prices (in some cases prices are reported to have trippled).

    It's possible MCK may be another potential loser?

  12. #12
    2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
    Pharmacies are doing a roaring business here in HK as people have stocked up on N95 face masks and hand sanitiser. Many have sold out of the former and jacked up prices (in some cases prices are reported to have trippled).

    It's possible MCK may be another potential loser?
    Happening here in NZ too, everyones buying out the N95 face mask. True MCK will lose out a bit on the reduced tourist numbers.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverblizzard888 View Post
    Other potential impacts:
    ATM (May sell more or less milk powder into china)
    SML (May sell more or less milk powder into china)
    POT (shipments carry China ordered goods)
    SPN (shipments carry China ordered goods)
    QEX (NZ to China exports)
    Are POT and SPN more affected than MMH and NPH?

  14. #14
    2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    Are POT and SPN more affected than MMH and NPH?
    Those could be affected too, just a bit of oversight on my part.

  15. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,189

    Default

    massive news just out

    Coronavirus Spurs China to Suspend Tours Abroad and Xi to Warn of a ‘Grave Situation’






    China said on Saturday that it would suspend all tour groups and the sale of flight and hotel packages for its citizens headed overseas, starting on Monday.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/25/w...ronavirus.html



    wall st futures are implying a big fall monday

    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  16. #16
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,703

    Default

    Corona vs measles vs influenza,influenza beats the all
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...se/4564133002/

  17. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,189

    Default

    president Xi Jinping ordered a faster response at home as the death toll in his country rose to at least 56
    More deaths were reported in regions outside of the epicenter of the virus and the number of confirmed infections surged to 1,975, with 324 people considered to be in severe condition.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia


    only matter of time before hits NZ i reckon and appears at the moment if you are old you should be more worried
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  18. #18
    2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    president Xi Jinping ordered a faster response at home as the death toll in his country rose to at least 56
    More deaths were reported in regions outside of the epicenter of the virus and the number of confirmed infections surged to 1,975, with 324 people considered to be in severe condition.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia


    only matter of time before hits NZ i reckon and appears at the moment if you are old you should be more worried
    Its in Australia, US, UK and Canada, these countries share a lot of resemblance to NZ, I have no doubt it is only a matter of time.

    Now its about making preparations for your own health and stock portfolio.

  19. #19
    Just a harmless teddy bear
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    28,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    president Xi Jinping ordered a faster response at home as the death toll in his country rose to at least 56
    More deaths were reported in regions outside of the epicenter of the virus and the number of confirmed infections surged to 1,975, with 324 people considered to be in severe condition.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia


    only matter of time before hits NZ i reckon and appears at the moment if you are old you should be more worried
    Could be good for retirement villages ....residents are staying there longer and longer ......good to get the turnover rate up.
    ďIn a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.Ē - Benjamin Graham

  20. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Could be good for retirement villages ....residents are staying there longer and longer ......good to get the turnover rate up.
    sadly if it gets in retirement villages and all the oldee's die there will be plenty of beds available nationwide so probably not good for retirement stocks . being a holiday tomorrow who gonna buy nz stocks?
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •