sharetrader
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    president Xi Jinping ordered a faster response at home as the death toll in his country rose to at least 56
    More deaths were reported in regions outside of the epicenter of the virus and the number of confirmed infections surged to 1,975, with 324 people considered to be in severe condition.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia

only matter of time before hits NZ i reckon and appears at the moment if you are old you should be more worried
    Could be good for retirement villages ....residents are staying there longer and longer ......good to get the turnover rate up.
    “What the wise man does in the beginning, the fool does in the end”

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    I believe just like SARS this will be all over the news and then become old news. Great to see China proactive on this though. The market will temporarily drop and then keep going up

SAARS happened 17 years ago when we didn't have anything like the number of flights & visitors from SAARS affected countries.
    Today we have 30 flights a week, and over 400,00 visitors from China, the source of this epidemic. The academic year is about to start with the return of many international students.

The US govt has just announced they are sending a plane to urgently evacuate all consular staff & their families from the affected regions in China & the reason being that they learnt their lesson after SAARS.

It's not just older people who are at risk but anyone undergoing chemotherapy or with many of the chronic illnesses with compromised immune systems.
    And if we get multiple cases of highly contagious Coronavirus turning up to our hospitals around the country, where there are hundreds of people battling health issues, heaven help us.
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 26-01-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    SAARS happened 17 years ago when we didn't have anything like the number of flights & visitors from SAARS affected countries.
    Today we have 30 flights a week, and over 400,00 visitors from China, the source of this epidemic. The academic year is about to start with the return of many international students.

The US govt has just announced they are sending a plane to urgently evacuate all consular staff & their families from the affected regions in China & the reason being that they learnt their lesson after SAARS.

It's not just older people who are at risk but anyone undergoing chemotherapy or with many of the chronic illnesses with compromised immune systems.
    And if we get multiple cases of highly contagious Coronavirus turning up to our hospitals around the country, where there are hundreds of people battling health issues, heaven help us.
    As I said China are doing well at trying to keep it under control. The markets will struggle at first, but they will rebound and this coronavirus will be history

I would have thought A2 would benefit as Chinese residents scramble to secure food that is not of CHinese origin

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Could be good for retirement villages ....residents are staying there longer and longer ......good to get the turnover rate up.
    sadly if it gets in retirement villages and all the oldee's die there will be plenty of beds available nationwide so probably not good for retirement stocks . being a holiday tomorrow who gonna buy nz stocks?
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Belle View Post
    I would have thought A2 would benefit as Chinese residents scramble to secure food that is not of CHinese origin
    I Agree from experience that if there is a panic, if Chinese people do panic and one does buy up large, the majority follow suit.

sadly if it gets in retirement villages and all the oldee's die there will be plenty of beds available nationwide so probably not good for retirement stocks . being a holiday tomorrow who gonna buy nz stocks?
    It won't get that far if proper protocol is upheld. As in it won't be allowed to get out of control. We are talking about 50+ deaths out of 1,000,000,000 people.

I Agree from experience that if there is a panic, if Chinese people do panic and one does buy up large, the majority follow suit.
    and if sales do increase significantly, there will be plenty of air cargo space as tourists stop travelling to China

It won't get that far if proper protocol is upheld. As in it won't be allowed to get out of control. We are talking about 50+ deaths out of 1,000,000,000 people.

Sorry that's not correct, it's 50 deaths and over 365 critically ill out of about 2000 cases so far. That's a high mortality rate & serious number in critical care.
    You can't possibly think 1,000,000,000 people have been exposed to the virus yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Sorry that's not correct, it's 50 deaths and over 365 critically ill out of about 2000 cases so far. That's a high mortality rate & serious number in critical care.
    You can't possibly think 1,000,000,000 people have been exposed to the virus yet.
    If proper protocol is upheld 1,000,000,000 won't ever see the effects of the virus. Remember over 700 died under SAARS

Aucklanders will have to spend their day off watching the market but if ASX closed might be quite day anyway
    “What the wise man does in the beginning, the fool does in the end”

The fact that globally 50,000+ people die every year from influenza also adds perspective....
    Last edited by BigBob; 26-01-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Hunting for more dog food Beagle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    The fact that 50.,000+ people globally die every from influenza also adds perspective....
    This article says worldwide flu deaths per annum are in the order of 250,000 - 500,000 people. Adds some perspective for people who are getting a bit hyped-up about this https://healthvigil.com/flu-season-deaths-us-worlswide/
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    This article says worldwide flu deaths per annum are in the order of 250,000 - 500,000 people. Adds some perspective for people who are getting a bit hyped-up about this https://healthvigil.com/flu-season-deaths-us-worlswide/
    Exactly - I only did a quick Google of the number.... Looks like it is much higher than my 50k....

Hunting for more dog food Beagle's Avatar

https://www.cnbc.com/pre-markets/

US futures - Dow down just 38 points....think I'll settle back down in my hot kennel and go back to sleep
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

So is anyone who has a Buy order in at the moment cancelling or repricing their order in case there is a bit of a sell-off?
    If you think there will be a bit of a short-term fall in prices could be a good time to get in with a low offer.
    And if you think it is a real issue, then you'd possibly cancel?
    Personally I've dropped my Buy price on a couple of orders and will see what happens. I can always put them back up at a moment's notice if the market shrugs it off.

US futures - Dow down just 38 points....think I'll settle back down in my hot kennel and go back to sleep
    We've reached full euphoria, nothing has stopped the market yet. We've had an impeachment, the Iran attack and this and the markets have not wilted at all yet.

I'd be interested to get back into AIA if things continue for a bit. I'd need to price to come down considerably, sold the stock to take profits but looking back I should've stayed the course. Would have to go down a bit from here to consider it.

Advanced Member

flu deaths are probably underestimated-there is no testing for most people who die and doctors often guess at the cause of death and rather than put influenza as cause will certify pneumonia/heart failure etc in frail people with pre-existing disease .
    The spanish flu epidemic in 1919 is said to have caused more deaths than all those killed in WW1 .
    Coronavirus has crossed species-from animal to man-just like SARS-so there is no immunity in humans-and we rely on our immune systems to kick in and kill it before it kills us.
    It is nowhere as infectious as say measles so good infection control will limit its spread.
    Has the potential to put people off overseas travel .

I thought futures were closed right now, open again around 10am our time Monday right?

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Grimy View Post
    So is anyone who has a Buy order in at the moment cancelling or repricing their order in case there is a bit of a sell-off?
    If you think there will be a bit of a short-term fall in prices could be a good time to get in with a low offer.
    And if you think it is a real issue, then you'd possibly cancel?
    Personally I've dropped my Buy price on a couple of orders and will see what happens. I can always put them back up at a moment's notice if the market shrugs it off.
    Excellent question, attending to that right now! Thanks for the reminder.