sharetrader
Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1217

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #1061
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    chch, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Big new study has death rates at much lower than previously thought.

    The infection fatality rate is estimated to be 0.23% and in people under the age of 70 it is only 0.05%.

    For those wanting to know more
    https://youtu.be/ofGMSH5tjYk

  2. #1062
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Big new study has death rates at much lower than previously thought.

    The infection fatality rate is estimated to be 0.23% and in people under the age of 70 it is only 0.05%.

    For those wanting to know more
    https://youtu.be/ofGMSH5tjYk
    Many scientists have been saying that for quite a while now.

  3. #1063
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Big new study has death rates at much lower than previously thought.

    The infection fatality rate is estimated to be 0.23% and in people under the age of 70 it is only 0.05%.

    For those wanting to know more
    https://youtu.be/ofGMSH5tjYk
    Dr John Campbell is an ex-nurse. He is a Ph.D not a medical doctor. I did not look at all the video. Have you got a link to the "Big new study"?

  4. #1064
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Dr John Campbell is an ex-nurse. He is a Ph.D not a medical doctor. I did not look at all the video. Have you got a link to the "Big new study"?
    Why not critiquing the contents of what he's presented (will review later today), his Ph.D was on the 'vivo pathogenesis of veterinary disease focusing to vivo immunology', which does transfer to human immunology. He doesn't need to be an MD to be qualified to talk on these topics.

  5. #1065
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Why not critiquing the contents of what he's presented (will review later today), his Ph.D was on the 'vivo pathogenesis of veterinary disease focusing to vivo immunology', which does transfer to human immunology. He doesn't need to be an MD to be qualified to talk on these topics.
    When you have no good argument its easy to attack the messenger because you know you cannot attack the message. Oldest trick in the book.

  6. #1066
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Big new study has death rates at much lower than previously thought.

    The infection fatality rate is estimated to be 0.23% and in people under the age of 70 it is only 0.05%.

    For those wanting to know more
    https://youtu.be/ofGMSH5tjYk
    Thanks for the interesting study.

  7. #1067
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    When you have no good argument its easy to attack the messenger because you know you cannot attack the message. Oldest trick in the book.
    I have absolutely no qualifications to talk on the virus. So my opinions are derived from others' research and advice. So it means I need to find out the qualifications and authority of those who post videos on YouTube. Do you accept everything posted on YouTube, without any research on the background of the person speaking?

    Here's the link to the study:
    https://www.who.int/bulletin/online_....20.265892.pdf
    (WHO -pdf file)

  8. #1068
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    "Director general of health Dr Ashley Bloomfield said he liked to think of us being in "level 1 plus" with a stronger emphasis on using masks and the Covid Tracer app which would avoid the need for level 2."

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...B4JJPEZJUNATE/


    We're back to mixed messaging again. Ashley Bloomfield says he "likes to think we're at level 1+" and that an emphasis should be placed on mask use, but the previous minister of health stated that he wasn't interested in point-something levels.

    These sorts of off-hand comments really undermine their own authority. Either lift us to level 2 permanently, or mandate masks at level 1, or leave the situation as it is.

  9. #1069
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Big new study has death rates at much lower than previously thought.

    The infection fatality rate is estimated to be 0.23% and in people under the age of 70 it is only 0.05%.

    For those wanting to know more
    https://youtu.be/ofGMSH5tjYk
    This may or may not be the case given the varying opinions and material being out out but in reality for NZ where we would struggle is the impact on a fragile health system that canít cater for numerous ICU patients beyond the usual regime of what we face.

    I think we have dodged a bullet and politics aside grateful to be in the position we are. This has some time to play out globally yet but thankfully we are where we are.

  10. #1070
    Guru Crypto Crude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I have absolutely no qualifications to talk on the virus. So my opinions are derived from others' research and advice. So it means I need to find out the qualifications and authority of those who post videos on YouTube. Do you accept everything posted on YouTube, without any research on the background of the person speaking?

    Here's the link to the study:
    https://www.who.int/bulletin/online_....20.265892.pdf
    (WHO -pdf file)
    But you still comment on other topics though...
    We should leave the expert advice to Doctor Ratkin...he is the leading authority in these matters...

  11. #1071
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    chch, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Death rates nearly everywhere that has the virus have plummeted. No idea why, but it does not seem to be the same beast it was back in Feb March

    It has either become weaker or there is better treatment now.

  12. #1072
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    chch, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    One thing for sure, now Labour have won the election they will not be so worried about protecting everyone from the virus.
    So lockdowns much less likely
    Last edited by ratkin; 23-10-2020 at 03:16 PM.

  13. #1073
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Death rates nearly everywhere that has the virus have plummeted. No idea why, but it does not seem to be the same beast it was back in Feb March

    It has either become weaker or there is better treatment now.
    Perhaps the level and volume of testing has increased since then too - the number of infections being comparatively understated back then?

  14. #1074
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    One thing for sure, now Labour have won the election they will not be so worried about protecting everyone from the virus.
    So lockdowns much less likely
    I think they will follow best advice. Are right wingers urging for the continued use of lockdowns? Or is it taken for granted that right wingers don’t prioritise protecting the populace from the virus?

    Who knows but at least they did not follow the Conservative government in the UK in going for herd immunity because it had almost five years to go in its term, and they may have considered the electorate would forget about any shambles that resulted? As it is now infections are soaring in the UK (and the death rate climbing)...
    Last edited by Bjauck; 23-10-2020 at 04:10 PM.

  15. #1075
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    One thing for sure, now Labour have won the election they will not be so worried about protecting everyone from the virus.
    So lockdowns much less likely
    Thatís a very cynical comment about the motivation of Labour which is not correct in my opinion and probably not correct for the red tsunami of people who voted for Labour mostly because of their handling of Covid.
    There would be less public support for lockdowns, as we have become too complacent.

  16. #1076
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    One thing for sure, now Labour have won the election they will not be so worried about protecting everyone from the virus.
    So lockdowns much less likely
    You make it sound like a fact - it isn't sure at all!
    Lockdowns are less likely because they can work out quickly where it comes from and get it under control.
    So a success.

  17. #1077
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Zoonosis is a real worry
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54842643
    "Danish scientists are particularly concerned about one mink-related strain of the virus, found in 12 people, which they say is less sensitive to protective antibodies, raising concerns about vaccine development"

    Meanwhile in US there is no mink culling?
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...om-coronavirus

    & in Chinese Mink farms? Who knows?

  18. #1078
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Zoonosis is a real worry
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54842643
    "Danish scientists are particularly concerned about one mink-related strain of the virus, found in 12 people, which they say is less sensitive to protective antibodies, raising concerns about vaccine development"

    Meanwhile in US there is no mink culling?
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...om-coronavirus

    & in Chinese Mink farms? Who knows?
    Another zoonosis M bovis - Covid-19 is not the only infectious disease New Zealand wants to eliminate

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300108190/coronavirus-covid19-is-not-the-only-infectious-disease-new-zealand-wants-to-eliminate

    Genome sequencing Ė the mapping of the genetic sequences of an organism Ė has helped track the spread of Covid-19 cases in Auckland, but it also plays an important role in the control of other infectious diseases in New Zealand.
    One example is Mycoplasma bovis, a global cattle disease New Zealand also hopes to eliminate.
    It was first detected on a South Island dairy farm in July 2017 and has subsequently been found on 250 properties across the country. It remains active on one farm.

  19. #1079
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Another zoonosis M bovis - Covid-19 is not the only infectious disease New Zealand wants to eliminate

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300108190/coronavirus-covid19-is-not-the-only-infectious-disease-new-zealand-wants-to-eliminate

    Genome sequencing – the mapping of the genetic sequences of an organism – has helped track the spread of Covid-19 cases in Auckland, but it also plays an important role in the control of other infectious diseases in New Zealand.
    One example is Mycoplasma bovis, a global cattle disease New Zealand also hopes to eliminate.
    It was first detected on a South Island dairy farm in July 2017 and has subsequently been found on 250 properties across the country. It remains active on one farm.
    Zoonosis???
    https://www.mpi.govt.nz/protection-a...o-food-safety/

  20. #1080
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,604

    Default

    Pfizer vaccine works.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...a-breakthrough

    Based on a large double-blinded trial of a very safe vaccine(based on mRNA) .
    In this trial ultra cold vaccine storage used and so far 94 participants have caught coronavirus infection with the vaccine showing 90% effectiveness at prevention(after 2 vaccinations)
    This really looks like a game changer for next year.

    The study is ongoing and many questions remain to be answered-but its happening and there is a very high chance it will be in mass use in a few months
    Last edited by fish; 10-11-2020 at 06:35 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •