sharetrader

View Poll Results: My portfolio is currently ...

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than $5000

2 4.55%
  • $6000 - $10,000

0 0%
  • $11,000 - $20,000

1 2.27%
  • $21,000 - $50,000

2 4.55%
  • $60,000 - $100,000

3 6.82%
  • $101,000 - $500,000

15 34.09%
  • $1,000,000 +

18 40.91%
  • Sorry, not something I’m willing to share

3 6.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The world is going to end tomorrow according to Bull and dying with money in the bank seems like a waste - so, yes, instead of paying off the mortgage I have run it up again. If we weren’t sitting on record low interest rates I might not employ this strategy, and it is subject to review should things change. However, after a slightly nerve wrecking start I am now in relatively comfortable position of being 50% up on my over all portfolio and bar an overnight collapse of the stock market I sleep pretty easy.

Interesting. Would scare the crap out of me, but good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    The world is going to end tomorrow according to Bull and dying with money in the bank seems like a waste - so, yes, instead of paying off the mortgage I have run it up again. If we weren’t sitting on record low interest rates I might not employ this strategy, and it is subject to review should things change. However, after a slightly nerve wrecking start I am now in relatively comfortable position of being 50% up on my over all portfolio and bar an overnight collapse of the stock market I sleep pretty easy.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Interesting. Would scare the crap out of me, but good luck!
    I use my revolving mortgage from time to time to invest in equities as well. Especially now that borrowing rates are so cheap.

But you are correct, its not for the faint of heart.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I use my revolving mortgage from time to time to invest in equities as well. Especially now that borrowing rates are so cheap.

But you are correct, its not for the faint of heart.
    Likewise
    The interest on this is tax deductible as long as you have it well documented that the mortgage is being used to finance an investment with the intention of making a profit.
    You need to discuss it with your accountant.
    It gives instant access to cash and I only use it to buy equities where the dividend return is higher than the interest rates (not for instance NZO ! )

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Likewise
    The interest on this is tax deductible as long as you have it well documented that the mortgage is being used to finance an investment with the intention of making a profit.
    You need to discuss it with your accountant.
    It gives instant access to cash and I only use it to buy equities where the dividend return is higher than the interest rates (not for instance NZO ! )
    Same strategy here. Why look a gift horse in the mouth but obviously one needs to understand the risks and be willing and able to wear a potential loss.