sharetrader
Page 336 of 347 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340346 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,720 of 6931

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    It already is. 8 per mill.
    I made it 7.6/mil - 196 deaths for 25.5mil
    Ours is 4.4/mil - 22 for 5mil
    worldometers.info doesn't do decimals
    Ours is static (for now) but theirs is still rising at an alarming rate really (though still very low by rest of world standards (125th)).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    I made it 7.6/mil - 196 deaths for 25.5mil
    Ours is 4.4/mil - 22 for 5mil
    worldometers.info doesn't do decimals
    Ours is static (for now) but theirs is still rising at an alarming rate really (though still very low by rest of world standards (125th)).
    You are right of course. I forgot people don't always die in whole humbers.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    You are right of course. I forgot people don't always die in whole humbers.
    Not whole numbers either.

Guru

Not whole numbers either.
    Same thing. Just a different spelling, a variation on Chalcatongo

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/01...dest-language/

Advanced Member

So yet another person leaves the country and turns out to be positive.
    Is there no community transmission, or are we riddled with it? Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post

I'm sure there is more out here...I always assumed it would be yet only come to the surface if someone is tested or ends up in hospital. Initially had not thought about detection via exporting it...

Advanced Member

I was a little over dramatic there 🤣

Sounds like it is someone who had it in March, so probably nothing

I was a little over dramatic there 🤣

Yet the way it was initially laid out in the first few paragraphs of the article I read, would have you believe we were heading down the precipice to another full-blown mass contagion. I suppose I should be more considerate of the media and the very difficult fiscal position they're in at the moment so they need to publicise incidents like this to get all the clicks they can!

https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/01-...an-travellers/
    Siouxsie Wiles: Four possible scenarios for the Australian and South Korean travellers.
    They’re false-positives

They’re positive but indicate a past infection

They’re positive and the person caught the virus in transit
    They’re positive and the person caught the virus in New Zealand

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/01-...an-travellers/
    Siouxsie Wiles: Four possible scenarios for the Australian and South Korean travellers.
    They’re false-positives

They’re positive but indicate a past infection

They’re positive and the person caught the virus in transit
    They’re positive and the person caught the virus in New Zealand
    You do not need red hair and a bad attitude to work that out

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Yet the way it was initially laid out in the first few paragraphs of the article I read, would have you believe we were heading down the precipice to another full-blown mass contagion. I suppose I should be more considerate of the media and the very difficult fiscal position they're in at the moment so they need to publicise incidents like this to get all the clicks they can!
    They changed the article, when it first came out it made it sound horrendous, then they added the bit about her having had the illness back in March. I guess they rushed it out at 1pm without waiting for the full story, a bit like myself.

There is no evidence she did have it in March, just her saying she had some symptoms in March. But there are probably Millions of worried well who thought they had symptoms back in March.

Advanced Member

They changed the article, when it first came out it made it sound horrendous, then they added the bit about her having had the illness back in March. I guess they rushed it out at 1pm without waiting for the full story, a bit like myself.

There is no evidence she did have it in March, just her saying she had some symptoms in March. But there are probably Millions of worried well who thought they had symptoms back in March.
    I simply do not understand why we are not testing people before departure

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    NZ’s response post lockdown has been all about reacting to Breakout events, rather than pre-empting Breakout events.

I was a little over dramatic there ��

You were and I respect that you saw it.
    Seems that this can hang around with people.
    Maybe the same for the Sth Korea person.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Why would we - they are leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    NZ’s response post lockdown has been all about reacting to Breakout events, rather than pre-empting Breakout events.
    You have no idea how many 'breakout events' that have been pre-empted. It's like proving a negative isn't it.

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=dobby41;833429]Why would we - they are leaving.

The reasons are obvious but testing and quarantine prevents transmission-eg at airport lounges and during the flight.
    It allows tracing to occur in an effective and timely fashion.
    Apply it to the recent s.korean-because he was not tested a massive amount of late tracing and testing is being attempted and the whole of NZ do not know if we have community transmission

Advanced Member

You were and I respect that you saw it.
    Seems that this can hang around with people.
    Maybe the same for the Sth Korea person.
    It really depends on what test is carried out.
    Nasal swab is looking for the virus or blood test looking for antibodies(previous infection)
    "What are the differences between COVID-19 nasal testing and COVID-19 antibody (serologic) testing?
    The standard nasal testing will continue to be the first line of testing for the general public. The nasal swab test is used to identify if a person has, or does not have, COVID-19 in their nose on the day the person is sampled. The antibody test works by taking a blood sample from an individual who has developed antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, to identify pasts infection with the virus. Both types of tests have limitations. The standard nasal swab test does not determine if the patient has had COVID-19 at any time prior to the test. Antibody testing by itself will not reliably identify individuals who are currently infected with COVID-19.

Why is Intermountain offering antibody testing?
    The nasal swab test can identify persons who need to be isolated or quarantined and it can be used to help control spread of the disease by keeping infected patients isolated so that they don’t spread the virus to others. The primary objective of antibody testing is to assess whether an individual may have been previously infected with the virus. At this time, antibody results should not be used to guide or change recommendations on social distancing, personal protection (face covers and masking), or work-related policies. How we use the results of the antibody test will likely change and evolve as we learn more about how the antibody result predicts immunity against COVID-19.

When used appropriately, use of the antibody test can help us better understand the extent and spread of COVID-19 in a certain population and identify risk factors for infection. Widespread, community-based antibody testing should only be done in collaboration with trained epidemiologists and researchers. In addition, Intermountain has identified specific criteria in which antibody testing can assist in the clinical management of patients with COVID 19 symptoms, identify asymptomatic transmission after high risk exposures, and identify past COVID 19 infection in patients with a history of a compatible syndrome. See below for specific criteria.
    What does a positive antibody test result mean?
    The individual was previously infected with or exposed to COVID-19.
    The individual’s body has produced a measurable antibody response to COVID-19.
    A positive test can also represent a false positive.
    A positive test does not mean the individual is immune to COVID-19.
    A positive test does not mean the individual can’t be reinfected with COVID-19 and spread it to others.
    NOTE: any antibody test result should not be used to guide or change recommendations on social distancing, personal protection (face covers and masking), or work-related policies"
    .https://intermountainhealthcare.org/...ibody-testing/

We were so lucky in NZ that our response was to go hard, go fast and go early and we had high compliance during lockdown.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-02/coronavirus-pandemic-leave-no-silver-bullet-for-economy/12511550
    Teams of defence personnel and Victorian health officials knocked on more than 500 doors on Thursday to check if known coronavirus patients were staying at home, as required, in isolation. A staggering 130 of them — roughly a quarter — weren't there.
    This was on the very day Victoria recorded 723 new coronavirus cases, the highest to date.
    The door knocking teams on Thursday, however, clearly didn't believe most of the 130 who weren't home had a valid excuse to be out. They referred more than 100 cases to police.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/rest-home...abd9f-97843407

This is NZ today under Comrade Cindy’s bunch of incompetents - rest homes proactively taking steps to protect their residents rebuked by Ministry of Health.

And we know the rest homes were right and the MOH could not even run a quarantine system properly without endangering all NZers through their incompetence.