sharetrader
Page 306 of 314 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,120 of 6264

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Well bring us up to date then. Are they up on 55%? National certainly have dropped - so where have the votes gone?
    https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1057...r-brunton-poll

Nice selective information again, "Balance". More recent poll by Curia has Labor at 55%. You know this, but choose to disregard because it doesn't support your narrative. Seriously tiring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...neral_election

A week is a long time in politics - especially the way Herr Muller isn't performing.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Observer AUNZ View Post
    Nice selective information again, "Balance". More recent poll by Curia has Labor at 55%. You know this, but choose to disregard because it doesn't support your narrative. Seriously tiring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...neral_election

This is the last official poll as conducted by an independent party.

Pathetic really to try and change the narrative to one which suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    A week is a long time in politics - especially the way Herr Muller isn't performing.
    And what does the promotion of Phil ‘screw-ups’ Twyford & retention of the gutlessly shameless David Clark by Comrade Cindy 🐒 tells you where the team of incompetents is heading?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    We've heard such frequent criticism of the Govt's response to the Pandemic on this thread that I thought it worthwhile posting this well written article which provides another perspective, & the influential & unhelpful role the media is playing in ramping this up which has a flow on affect on our economy.

How often we heard over the last months, how poorly we compared to best in the world at handling the crisis both in terms of the economy & public health i.e. Australia.
    That has turned out to be untrue as now we watch the alarming increase in community spread in Victoria, and last Wednesday Qantas (described as the 'kangaroo in the coalmine' in terms of Covid's economic impact on Australia) suddenly announcing it is sacking 6000 employees & may have to sack a further 15,000.

While there have been lapses & mistakes made in our border control, those have now been rectified & it is worth remembering not a single person has died or even become ill as a result of those & we haven't had a case of community transmission for weeks.

Both the media & the opposition seem to have a vested interest in undermining confidence in the economy & diminishing the incredible success we have achieved in making NZ one of the safest places on the planet.
    That constant over the top negativity & daily diet of outrage esp if unjustified is unhelpful to business, as we all know confidence & optimism helps drive spending & growth in the economy.

Whether you think it was good management or just pure luck, we must be one of the most fortunate countries in the world at the moment, certainly thats the view from everyone I know overseas, and yet the media certainly doesn't reflect that.

https://asiapacificreport.nz/2020/06...QJcD8PFcXVdm6s
    This thread is looking more and more like Muller on TV today - desperately clinging to the one outdated thing they can criticise the government for. Muller looked pathetic today. It really is a shame. The 'opposition' is a very weak one now and that is not good for NZ. When you have someone like Paula Bennet bailing on them you know they are in trouble. I mean even their supposed strong point the other day, their ability to lead an economic recovery is struggling with their finance spokesperson not even able to read a document and do basic arithmetic... Embarrassing.

The reality is the NZ governments response is world leading and hard pressed to find a country that wouldn't love to be in NZs position. We all know there were failings at the border initially, but by all accounts these have been resolved. I personally think we are a bit lucky this didnt result in cases in the community, but that is besides the point now, what is important for all of us is that they fixed this up quick smart, and we still are effectively a Covid free country.

My hope is that once the capacity of our quarantine improves, we will start to put in place the ability for international students to return. My understanding is that the income generated from these students in tertiary and secondary education is crucial, so my expectation is that will be next on the governments agenda. Thankfully most Asian countries that we deal with have largely got Covid under control as well, so I think this is just a matter of time. Then, if and when OZ get their Covid situation sorted, the bubble might finally eventuate, and we can get some welcome relief for our tourism sector.

It all has to be done in well managed stages though, and the silver lining to past struggles at the border have hopefully resulted in the necessary care to ensure the above can happen safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Observer AUNZ View Post
    Stop quoting him mate - I blocked him as I believe he may actual have some sort of serious mental incapacity. My life is much better for it
    Haha, sorry. I have two people on ignore on this thread, but only because I could understand their posts and knew didnt need them in my life. This person, I honestly dont know what they are trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by RnT View Post

The reality is the NZ governments response is world leading and hard pressed to find a country that wouldn't love to be in NZs position.
    Try Georgia, Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea, China, Canada and Tunisia for starters.

Stop living in a coconut shell & see the world only via the small opening.

Then, revisit in 6 & 12 months' time.
    Last edited by Balance; 01-07-2020 at 09:38 AM.

https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1057...%A0bounce-back

There you go - good news for the optimists :

NZ heading into a 'V' shape recovery.

"Sold out toilet paper in some parts of Australia; sold out rugby matches in New Zealand -- the signals from these differing phenomena support our contrasting 'U-shaped' versus 'V-shaped' recovery profiles for the antipodeans."

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Curia is National's polling provider so this result is even WORSE!!!

Try Georgia, Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea, China, Canada and Tunisia for starters.
    Wow. What a list of superpowers. But sure, why not, let's compare...

What metric do you want to measure on?

Testing? https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&country=GEO~NZL~TWN~ VNM~KOR~CHN~CAN~TUN&testsMetric=true&dailyFreq=tru e&aligned=true&perCapita=true&smoothing=7&pickerMe tric=location&pickerSort=asc
    NZ way ahead of the others (where there is enough data)

Case fatality rate?
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&country=GEO~NZL~TWN~ VNM~KOR~CHN~CAN~TUN&cfrMetric=true&dailyFreq=true& aligned=true&perCapita=true&smoothing=7&pickerMetr ic=location&pickerSort=asc
    NZ well ahead of those that I'd say there is reliable data, but if you want to compare with Georgian, Taiwanese and Vietnamese data then NZ not quite as good those what that data presents.

Cases?
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?yScale=log&zoomToSelection=true&country=G EO~NZL~TWN~VNM~KOR~CHN~CAN~TUN&casesMetric=true&da ilyFreq=true&aligned=true&perCapita=true&smoothing =7&pickerMetric=location&pickerSort=asc
    NZ very good indeed

Deaths?
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&country=GEO~NZL~TWN~ VNM~KOR~CHN~CAN~TUN&deathsMetric=true&totalFreq=tr ue&aligned=true&perCapita=true&smoothing=0&pickerM etric=location&pickerSort=asc
    NZ fares very well.

Once you put all of that together... I think you'd put NZ's performance in the top 3 or 4 countries in the world and it is impossible to perfectly compare these various elements. If that's not world leading, what is?

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Jacinda at Cardrona last week. People queued 6 deep just to see her, everywhere she went people cheered and clapped and thanked her. Seemed pretty popular to me

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RnT View Post
    Haha, sorry. I have two people on ignore on this thread, but only because I could understand their posts and knew didnt need them in my life. This person, I honestly dont know what they are trying to say?
    I had several goes at it and couldn't make it out either. I thought it must be just my pedantry, so I'm pleased to know I'm not alone.

https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1057...%A0bounce-back

There you go - good news for the optimists :

NZ heading into a 'V' shape recovery.

"Sold out toilet paper in some parts of Australia; sold out rugby matches in New Zealand -- the signals from these differing phenomena support our contrasting 'U-shaped' versus 'V-shaped' recovery profiles for the antipodeans."
    Lucky we didn't follow Australia - we'd still be locked down.
    Off to the pub with as many people as I want.
    Then I might travel the length of the country.

Another zero day and of course, Comrade Cindy 🐒 is fronting the media briefing. 🤮

Another zero day and of course, Comrade Cindy �� is fronting the media briefing. ��
    I only saw Ashley?
    Did you watch it or assume?
    Last edited by dobby41; 01-07-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    I only saw Ashley?
    Did you watch it or assume?
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...uly-1st-update

I watched Ashley at 1pm for the update.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12344572
    There are no new cases of Covid-19 in New Zealand today, for the second day running.

Seems Ashley gave the 1pm update and Jacinda gave her own briefing (not the case update) at 1:30.

We've heard such frequent criticism of the Govt's response to the Pandemic on this thread that I thought it worthwhile posting this well written article which provides another perspective, & the influential & unhelpful role the media is playing in ramping this up which has a flow on affect on our economy.

Both the media & the opposition seem to have a vested interest in undermining confidence in the economy & diminishing the incredible success we have achieved in making NZ one of the safest places on the planet.
    That constant over the top negativity & daily diet of outrage esp if unjustified is unhelpful to business, as we all know confidence & optimism helps drive spending & growth in the economy.

Whether you think it was good management or just pure luck, we must be one of the most fortunate countries in the world at the moment, certainly thats the view from everyone I know overseas, and yet the media certainly doesn't reflect that.

Some people on sharetrader are determined to put a negative spin on everything. It is not helpful to be so negative for both individuals and New Zealand as a whole. I agree with Gordon Campbell that we need to be focusing on the positive and the future, not on the negative and on any mistakes that were made in the past. That doesn't mean we ignore mistakes, but that we learn from them and move on. All this negativity is enough to create depression, both economic and mental health.

How often we heard over the last months, how poorly we compared to best in the world at handling the crisis both in terms of the economy & public health i.e. Australia.
    That has turned out to be untrue as now we watch the alarming increase in community spread in Victoria, and last Wednesday Qantas (described as the 'kangaroo in the coalmine' in terms of Covid's economic impact on Australia) suddenly announcing it is sacking 6000 employees & may have to sack a further 15,000.

While there have been lapses & mistakes made in our border control, those have now been rectified & it is worth remembering not a single person has died or even become ill as a result of those & we haven't had a case of community transmission for weeks.

Don't agree with Mr Campbell in this article.

Like many New Zealanders I watched most of the daily briefings during the lockdown and continue to do so when I can get to them. I think the government (by which I mean the Labour leadership Ardern, Robertson, Hipkins etc and the pubic service) did an excellent job of leading the country through containing and eliminating the virus - they need credit for that. The media were very supportive and mostly uncritical during this whole period around the edges during this whole period - PPE, Clarks bike rides etc.

The media has since then continued to be highly supportive except for the quarantine shambles - not sure what Campbell expects - questions not to be asked about those issues?

On the fundamental question facing us ... What does New Zealand do now? There has been little if any real media attention nor analysis. AnIssue which National is starting to raise, if tentatively.

Also note that Muller has had a terrible run with the media - witness the MAGA hat nothing issue.